11.10.2011

Whole Bunch of Little Things

The other afternoon I called my granddad to ask questions about his time in the Navy.  There is a ceremony at the elementary school on Friday honoring all of the veterans that have served or are currently serving our country and I wanted to make sure he was included.  So,  after a few minutes of chatting he asked how we were doing and I gave my standard response of, "oh, you know just the regular stuff.  We are really busy, but with a whole bunch of little things."  He kind of laughed and said, "yes, that is what those middle years are like.  You are busy with work and and small children and then you wake up and you are 55, your kids are gone and you wonder what to do with yourself."  Now, isn't that interesting?  You run around like a chicken with your head cut off (literally) trying to make sure that your kids are bathed, there is decent food on the table, people have clean clothes, the house is relatively clean (please never come over unannounced),  and all of this takes place when your kids are little and growing so incredibly quickly.  It goes by too fast.  Makes you wish you could freeze time.  To slow down just a little so that you can remember them being little.  To soak up the precious voice of your 5 year old as he tells you about his day at school.  To savor the moments when your daughter runs to you simply because she wants to give you a hug.  Where have I been lately?  Well, I have been doing a whole bunch of little things.  Hopefully when they are older, they will remember those things.    

Oh, I have also been working on feeding my addiction to pumpkins.  Homemade (from scratch) pumpkin pie, pumpkin rolls, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin beer.  I'm even considering making my own pumpkin latte at home today.  Nuts I know!  It is so ridiculous that every time I tell Mark that I have made pumpkin something he just rolls his eyes.  

Anyway, off to do more little things  

WARNING:  Random picture overload






Headed to the fall festival at school

Jack playing life size Angry Birds

Bowling

A little waiting in line

Fearless!

Standing in front of the kindergarten artwork made out of recycled materials

Circling Christmas "wants"

Enjoying the fabulous weather after school.

Mommy enjoying watching them playing nicely



Daddy surprised us all by showing up at the kindergarten parade.  He had been out of town and we didn't know he was going to make it.  We walked in to watch Jack and there he was.  He is a awesome daddy!
Little lady helping to make pumpkin whoopie pies

And the whoopie pie


This is the sugar pumpkin we used for pumpkin pie.  If you have never had a fresh pumpkin pie, try it.  At least once.  I don't usually like pumpkin pie, but I thought this was tasty.


Spiking our hair for crazy hair day at school.  It is also gold, but considering his hair is blonde,  it didn't show up a lot in pictures


This is what I have to deal with!  Ha.
And more...



"Is this better mommy?"  Don't be fooled by that little grin.  

Oh, forget it.  Be fooled, she has people wrapped around here.  Heck even her brother calls her a "little ball of love."  How cute is that?


I'm done.  Time for me to take notes.  

And more of this.  It is constant really.  You say, "make a silly face" one time...


He is thinking, "really woman?  it is 7:30 in the morning!"

Angry bird and the wise one.  We should have switched shirts :)

Enjoying the neighborhood Halloween party.

Pumpkin carving


No, that is not a bunch of trash, it is recycling.  See the pumpkin beer box.  Funny to me.  


We carved a haunted house, a witch and the grim reaper.  Looked great at nighttime

Mr. Weinstein as Julia called him.  Greatness

Baddest sheriff in town

Kids had a great time dressing up with P-paw and Grandma



Ready.  Aim.  Shoot!

Really wishing I would let him go inside and dig in






Jules at the preschool parade


1 comment:

Mom said...

I was missing your post.