1.30.2013

Bread, bread and well, a little more bread

So, more than likely I am writing this post for myself, which is okay.  Maybe I should write some inspirational letters to myself (you know, since I have lost my following) and I can come back and read them periodically when I need a little, well...inspiration.

So this post is about bread, lots of bread.  I felt compelled to share some recipes with you because one, they are delicious, like fabulously delicious and two, they are so simple to make you really have no excuse to not. And besides, who doesn't like bread?  Especially fresh, hot out of the oven bread.  If you don't, well I'm afraid that we can no longer be friends because there is seriously something wrong with you.  


The first, is a receipe I found in the Penzy's catalog.  If you haven't heard of Penzy's, it is all about spices and their receipes are simply wonderful.  I love getting their catalog as I am guaranteed to find something new to try.

Beer Bread

3 cups flour
1/4 Cup sugar
1 1/2 TB baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 12-oz can beer, room temperature
1/4 cup butter, melted (for topping)

Optional ingredients:

1 tsp Cinnamon
2 TB sugar
1 cup raisins

OR

1 TB Italian her mix (oregano, basil, rosemary)
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 TB olive oil  

Preheat oven to 375 if using a metal loaf pan or 350 if using glass.  In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and stir to mix.  Make a well in the center.  Pour the beer in the well and then mix thoroughly.  Base as is, or add the optional ingredients of your choice for a sweet bread or a savory herb bread (if making herb bread, mix the spices and salt with the olive oil before adding).  Pour the batter into a lightly greased loaf pan.  Pour the melted butter over the top.  Bake for 45-55 minutes.  Let cook before slicing.

I have only made the savory bread and honestly, I could eat it daily.  I don't, but I could.  Honest, it's that good.  

30 minute Rolls (Make the tonight.  Your family will thank you)

Picture here

1 C plus 2 Tbsp warm water
1/3 C oil
2 Tbsp yeast
1/4 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
3 1/2 C bread flour (seems to work better but all purpose flour will also work)

Heat oven to 400 degrees.
In your mixer bowl combine the water, oil, yeast and sugar and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.  Using your dough hook, mix in the salt, egg and flour.  Knead with hook until will incorporated and dough is soft and smooth. (Just a few minutes)Form dough into 12 balls and then place in a greased 9 x 13 pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes.  Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown.

Recipe found here

And finally I found a pretzel bread recipe on Julie's Pinterest page and I'm going to give it a shot today. Thank goodness I exercise regularly or I'm afraid my body might not be able to take all of the carbs. 

 

3 comments:

The Hag said...

The rolls were awesome!

JC said...

Yeah, you are back. Great comeback,
who doesn't like bread!!!!

Helen said...

Bread is great. Kolaches are next