10.03.2011

Birthday Gift Basket


My mom recently celebrated a birthday and I wanted to do something nice for her.  I always talk about making homemade gifts and then I wait until the last minute, obvioiusly run out of time and then am scrambling trying to find the right gift for someone.   I have already given her a lifetime supply of earrings, scarves, pedicures, etc.  This time I tried to be proactive and do it right.  I wanted to make things that I have talked to her about or items that we have discussed giving to others for Christmas gifts.  A few of the items I have tried myself, but some were new even to me, but I am going to have to toot my own horn for a minute (toot toot), this was the most fabulous gift I think I have ever given.  Seriously, the only thing I would have changed is prettier ribbon to tie it all up.  I loved it!  In the basket I included 2 different homemade soaps, 2 different body/hand scrubs, a face mask, a candle rolled in epsom salt so that it glistens when lit and of course a bottle of wine so that she could enjoy her homemade spa day. 

If you are ever in need of a nice homemade gift for someone, try a few of these items and I assure you it will be a HUGE hit.

I started with a neutral colored scented candle, mod podge and epsom salt.  Apply mod podge to the candle and while wet, roll it in the salt until it is covered.  Let it dry.  Wrap it up and add it to your basket.

 
Hard to tell from this picture, but it turned out to be a really pretty candle.



Body scrubs made from items in your pantry


Homemade soaps.  I used Honey and Oatmeal in one.  I did add some honey almond scent to give it a little extra something.  The other is coffee and oatmeal.  Sounds so strange, but it smelled like heaven.  I even add a few coffee beans in just for fun.


 
Finished basket.  Includes: soap, scrubs, a face mask made of baking soda & orange juice (try it), candle, olive oil (hair treatment and skin nourishment) and wine.  Perfect!


Coffee scrub:

Coffee grounds and olive oil.  You will have the softest, smoothest skin EVER!  I'm not kidding.  Go try it.  Like, right now.  Go!

Brown sugar & Oatmeal:

2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal, ground in spice/coffee grinder
1/2 cup grapeseed oil (I used olive oil)
Zest from lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Mix it all up

Coffee & Oatmeal Soap:

4 oz. melt and pour soap (will try lye eventually)
1 teaspoon ground espresso
1 teaspoon powdered milk
1-2 tablespoons oatmeal
A few drops of scented oil.  I used honey and almond because that is what I had

Melt the soap, mix in additional ingredients, pour into a mold and let harden.  You can use anything for a mold.  Muffin tins, applesauce/fruit cups.  I have found anything plastic is easier to remove the soap

Honey & Almond Soap:

Same as above, but add 1 tablespoon of honey instead of espresso and powdered milk.

Baking soda & Orange juice mask:

1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice

Combine and make a paste.  Apply to face and let dry 20-30 minutes.  Rinse with warm water.  Face might be a little itchy, but your skin looks so nice afterward.

Enjoy your homemade gifts or homemade spa day to treat yourself.

Here is Jack making his own soap.  He loved it so much, he told the neighborhood kids all about it :)  



PS - since the last post we have caught a possum, seen another armadillo in the neighborhood and have seen proof that it too has been digging in the backyard.  My gosh, I think I live at the ZOO!



2 comments:

Mom said...

Best gift I EVER got. It still puts tears in my eyes. So beautiful. And I have used some of it, it works, I look 23 again!!

Julie said...

What a great idea! I'm going to have to try your scrub recipes. And I love the way that candle looks!