Honestly, I was a little concerned about this purchase because I don't know what to do with a coconut. I had never purchased a coconut, nor had I ever tried coconut milk, but more importantly I had no clue as to how you even begin to crack it open. We opted for a screwdriver and a hammer. It worked!

First we poked three holes in the top for straws. Aren't you supposed to drink the milk? I will tell you I was a little disappointed, but both of the kids tried it so I couldn't turn my nose up. I expected it to be really sweet, but it was not. Surprisingly there was quite a bit of milk in there. Actually about a cup or so. Again, totally surprised. Then again, I didn't really know what to expect. This was new for all three of us.
They lost interest in the milk drinking rather quickly and wanted to dive into the meat of it. I must admit, so did I. I was terribly curious as to what I was going to find inside. So we break out the hammer and screwdriver and we go to town. We were a little clumsy at first, but we were able to crack that sucker open and there was all of this fleshy, white coconut. They tell you to use a dull knife to scrap it out so we did, or at least a little of it anyway. I now see why coconut comes in tiny slivers. That must be how "they" get it out. I can't see any other way that they would do it. I tried it first and either the store bought coconut is enhanced with sweetness or this was just a boring coconut. I don't know. It did have a hint of sweetness, but not what I expected. I really expected the glutton in me to be so in love with the flesh of this coconut that I wouldn't even share with the kids (I love this stuff), but I wasn't. It was a fun experience and I enjoyed sharing it with the kids. I was proud of him for trying something new. Now, if I could only get him to try new vegetables....then we would be on to something.
PS - the little lady is floating around her somewhere, but she wasn't remotely interested in having her picture taken.


No comments:
Post a Comment