7.14.2011

What is that on my plate?



While, I would like to tell you that this bowl of vegetables is from my bountiful garden, it is not, which is a total bummer.  Then again, it would be shocking had these come from our garden, considering the fact that I never planted these.  These things being, kale, shallots, radishes and beets....BEETS!  My only memory of beets involves pickled beets and a diet and I have not eaten them since.  I'll give them one more shot.  These things better be good.  

I read an article recently about how a persons eating behaviors are developed by the time they are three.  Is that really possible?  I am quite certain I wasn't eating smoked salmon, artichokes or asparagus (to name a few) when I was three, but hey I was introduced to many other things so maybe that allowed me to be open to different foods and not so open to some I guess.  Ok, so I read this article and Mark and I have had numerous conversations about the plethora of fruits and vegetables out there that we have no idea to what to do with or how to prepare.  So, after watching two different episodes about roasted beets and kale with bacon I decided that I would give it a shot.  Side note, I am not worried about the girl, but the boy well he could survive on peanut butter I do believe.  

This weeks agenda is to force offer up some new veggie options to my family.  I'll have to let you know how it goes.  I anticipate a lot of, "what is on my plate?"  With noses turned up and engusted (that is how Julia says it) looks on their faces.  Oh well worth a shot.  

What am I making?  I think I'll start with these.

Roasted Beet Salad

Kale with Portobello Mushrooms

The radishes?  Well I actually bought those because my grandparents just eat them with their sandwiches at lunch.  Pure craziness I do believe, but hey, we are going with the "give it a shot," mentality this week.

Tomorrow I will send you a picture of my stained fingers, you know after working with the beets and all.

Before we left for vacation I decided to steam some artichokes after reading my friend Kandice's blog, Ticklet My Palate.  It seemed like a good way to start the vacation and I had always wanted to try making them myself.  I do love artichokes, but it always seemed so overwhelming.  Actually, much easier than I would have anticipated.  My friend Julie over at Hahn Haus recently grilled them, which will most definitely need to be added to my cooking to-do list.  They look delicious!







Who knew this is what it looked like?  Well, I guess people that have cooked artichokes before of course.  Fortunately for me, Mark didn't like the meaty deliciousness at the bottom so admittedly I devoured it all myself, (after removing the hairy part, which I'm sure has a specific name and not "hairy part").  



Love to all.

2 comments:

The Hag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Hag said...

I loved the new veggies! Keep it coming, Mopsie. you are the best!