9.23.2011

Long Distance Running

Today, I learned that my son is a future long distance runner.  It was the day of the Fun Run at school and I am so glad that we went.  I wasn't going to go.  Why?  Well, I had things to do at the house, but there is always something to do here.  I had someone coming to repair the stove and errands to run.  I figured he wouldn't care if I was there or not.  Meaning, he would be busy running.   I had a change of heart, adjusted my priorities appropriately and I am so glad that I erased all of my to-do's, cancelled my repair job, grabbed my keys and the little lady, and we were off.  I mean, this is the very reason that I enjoy staying home.  I have the absolute pleasure of getting to witness the things that my children do and I wanted him to know that I was there as his own personal cheerleader.  The weather was beyond gorgeous and I got to spend the morning watching my oldest running around like a mad man.  Certainly beats the pants off of a silly to-do list of unimportant things anyway.

During the run, the kid was all business.  As the majority of the kids walked around the track, this kid ran.  I felt like Jenny from Forest Gump, "run Forest run."  The kid ran and ran and he ran some more.  He weaved in and out of the walkers only stopping at the water station to quench his thirst.  I was very, very proud of him and you know what?  He was glad that we were there.

Warming up before the big race.

See the wind in his hair?  The kid is fast.

 
Doesn't he look worn out?  He was disappointed, when he realized that he didn't get to go home.

And because she wouldn't dare miss out on all of the fun she ran too.  She was actually the last kid off of the track.  Funny girl she is.



1 comment:

Helen said...

Oh, what a great thing to do is to watch your kids when they are performing. I used to be the loudest mother in the stands