12.11.2010

The Christmas Boot

I have had the weekend to myself, which has been absolutely fabulous and eerily quiet at the same time.  I have enjoyed myself, but I do miss all of my people.

Today, my goal was to finish some Christmas shopping.  I would like to say that I accomplished that goal, but alas, I did not.  I did have a good time though.  As I wandered around today trying to finish my shopping I stumbled upon these two ceramic boots.  Oh, I soon as I saw them I knew I was going to buy them regardless of the price.  Well, had they been $50 I wouldn't have bought them, but you get the idea.  The reason I had to buy these two boots is because I have been searching for them.   As I saw them, they called to me.  Seriously, they said, "buy us."  You see, for several years I have searched for these little boots.  Well, probably since Jack was born at least.  You see, at Christmas time my mother pulled out the exact same decorations every single year.  I loved them.  I loved the felt ornaments that we made when I was really young.  I loved the ceramic Christmas tree with the colored bulbs, her set of reindeer that she painted herself and many other things.  I loved the tradition of getting out the same decorations and creating our Christmas story.  Although, I probably didn't realize it at the time.  One of my all time favorites was a little ceramic red and white boot.  I put that on my chest of drawers drawers for as long as I can remember.  It was mine, all mine, and I knew that I would place that boot in the same spot each year.  There is something comforting about tradition.  Part of that tradition also seemed to be finding last years peppermints in the bottom, but of course we would fill it with fresh ones, although I don't think I really ate them (obviously).  I don't know what happened to the boot, but I have looked for something that my own children could have in their rooms.  They seem to have found their own favorites in snowman books and singing characters, but I still wanted to have one of my old favorites in their rooms too.  While, this isn't my old childhood decoration, the red and white one looks very similar.

To tradition...

    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet memory.