"We're going to be late. "
"I'm running late."
"Hurry, hurry we will never get there in time."
These are all things that I say constantly around here. I don't know why I am always running late. Well, actually I wait until the very last possible moment, never leaving enough time to actually get there in time.
Well, today was no different.
The little lady and I were doing our regular routine except today I decided we would run errands before picking Jack up from school. Honestly, I thought I had left plenty of time. Actually, I did leave plenty of time for MYSELF. I always seem to underestimate the amount of time it takes to get a two year old out of a car, into the store, walk around the store and into the checkout line, oh and the bathroom (always must stop off at the bathroom, even if only to check things out in there) and of course back into the car. You would think after 5 years I would have figured out that I need to allow a little extra time. Apparently, I am a slow learner.
Our final destination was the grocery store. I thought we had plenty of time to pick up the few things we needed. We would be in and out in no time and we were, or so I thought. That is until we got to the car. You see, again I underestimated the amount of time that it requires to get this kid into her car seat. What you need to know is, she doesn't want my help. She needs my help, although she tells me otherwise. So here we are in the car and I think I have plenty of time to make it to the school. Here is something else you should know, I don't wear a watch. I haven't worn a watch for about 10 years. Surprisingly it has effected me very little. Although, I always seem to be late. I know you are all thinking, "instead of socks she really needed a watch." I'm not late because I don't wear a watch, I'm just late.
Ok, so I am waiting for this lady to get buckled up. I finally turn on the car and see that it is 1:56. Oh My Gosh! I have 4 minutes to get to the school and this kid isn't anywhere close to being buckled up. I look at her and say, "Please hurry, we are going to be late."
"I don't need your help Mommy. I can do this myself."
I'm thinking, "oh my gosh, we do not have time for this. We are going to be late again."
So I watch her struggle with the buckle. I watch her fight and grimace. She is bound and determined to buckle her own seat belt.
Again I say, "Jules, you have got to get buckled up or we are going to be late."
And again she says, "I don't need your help."
So I sit and watch. I'm sure at this point steam is starting to come out of my hears and my face is turning red. For crying out loud. Just let me do it!
She must have sensed my frustration. Honestly, I wasn't saying anything, but sitting there watching her. About that time, with her face all scrunched up she says, "I'm doing my best!" I just started laughing.
She really was doing her best and she wanted me to let her try, without any interference from me. We both started laughing and she then decided it would be alright if I helped her out a little. And now, she has said, "I'm doing my best," about 10 times today with a little twinkle in her eye.
What a fabulous child!

No comments:
Post a Comment