8.24.2011

Pleasant distractions

This past weekend was an emotional one, being the last weekend before Jack grew up instantly and started kindergarten, so I did my best to stay busy.  I did have a lot to do, but I did things that weren't necessarily required, but still pleasant little distractions.

Saturday, the little lady and I planted some pumpkin seeds.  A few weeks ago, the kids and I grabbed a few different things to plant and they both wanted to plant pumpkins.  Now, I know what you are probably thinking, and while you may be correct that we won't be able to produce one pumpkin considering some strange creatures eat just about everything we grow, the kids think it is fun to watch the little seeds grow.  We have managed to grow 4 basil plants and 3 tomato plants that we started from seeds.  That part of gardening I have enjoyed.  Going out to see that something has eaten whatever I try to grow, well, not so much.  Right now the garden looks really pretty.  If I could just keep the grasshoppers and aphids at bay, I might do alright.  

Planted sweet pumpkin and carving pumpkins on Saturday


This is what we have on Wednesday.  Incredible.  I think I might enjoy it even more than the kids.  I go out there about every 15 minutes to see if anything has changed.  Apparently,  I have too much time on my hands now that I am minus one child for 7.5 hours of the day.  Such a bummer.


This is our garden now.  The tall plant that you see to the left of the garden is one of my basil plants.  Many of you may be receiving homemade pesto for Christmas or maybe not, I may have eaten it all myself.


Saturday afternoon, I could tell that my sweet husband was bored.  Having finished his master's degree, he has more free time and now he doesn't know what to do with himself.  He kind of wandered around in the morning because I was busy doing other things and by Saturday afternoon the man needed a project so I gave him one.  Sometime ago we bought supplies to make a magnet board for the kitchen.  I wanted a place where the kids could feel free to display their artwork.  Through Julie Hahn, I found a blog called, Shanty 2 Chic and found so many projects that I would like try, this magnet board being one of them.  Mark built the frame as I wanted a large 36x24 board and I wasn't going to go out and buy a frame that size.  We then used sheet metal, some foam board (to make it a little stronger) and fabric.  It turned out super cute and Mark did a great job (as always) on the frame.  Next, we will make some for the kids rooms as well.  I made a joke that I was going to make one for the guest room and leave little notes for our guests to leave comments (this was in reference to a Friends episode) and he said he would have to draw the line (ha).  Come on now, you know that would be funny if you saw it.

This is now hanging in our kitchen near the pantry.


Sunday, I decided that Jack needed homemade cookies for his lunchbox and again I was trying to stay busy.  This was the hardest day for me.  I cried multiple times, but I was alright as long as I was busy.  Jack seemed pleased with the oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies.  Honestly, they were some of the best I have ever made.  I always say I'm not a baker, but my baking skills have improved.  As they say, "practice makes perfect."  By the looks of my kitchen, I am practicing a lot.  



And finally, this was the sweet face that greeted me after his first day of school and his first words were, "mommy, this school is so much better than my other school.  I had a lot of fun."  Whew!  I was so relieved.  Fortunately, I was busy most of the day and didn't allow myself much time to be sad, but I was anxious to pick him up and learn about his day.  We are now on Day 3 and so far so good.  



















No comments: