8.29.2011

Pesto, pesto and a little more pesto



Ah, you get the idea that this post is about pesto right?  Well, I hinted that everyone would be getting homemade pesto this year, but I hate to break it to you all, but that will not be happening.  Unless of course, you are alright with receiving a rancid gift and aren't concerned about botulism.  If not, I'll send some your way because what I made was quite delicious.  This was my first batch made from my home grown basil (from seeds no less).  It did need a tad more salt and a little less olive oil, but I can tweak that next time.  I searched for recipes for canning or preserving basil, but everything I found said, "no, nope, you can't do that, it won't last, don't do it, not a good idea."  So, considering the fact that everywhere I read said you can't can things with oil and I really love everyone here, I figured I would spare you any illnesses that I might inadvertently cause.  That seems only fair don't you think?  I did learn however, that you can make it and freeze it and use it throughout the year.  Maybe when you visit I will serve you some homemade pesto in an assortment of dishes.  I had quite a lot from the one batch I made last week so we ate it three different times.  By the end of the week, I think my sweet husband had his fill of pesto, but he doesn't really complain much.  We had pesto pasta, homemade pizza with pesto sauce and I made my italian pesto dip for company on Saturday evening.  All three were delicious!  We will not be having pesto this week.

I'll share the recipe along with the recipe for homemade pizza dough and the italian dip (everyone, and I mean everyone loves this dip).

Pesto:


  • 3 cups packed fresh basil leaves
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts (toasted)
  • 1/8 cup walnuts (toasted)
I had a little helper.







Pizza dough - I would make one batch into two pizzas.  This recipe was a little thick for thin crust pizza lovers.  I would also add a little salt or some extra seasoning to the dough.  It was good and much easier than I thought.  Took about 30 minutes to make and that includes time to rise.



Is this funny or what?  It was very pretty dough though.  


Rolled out dough with pesto




The beginnings of a veggie pizza.  My children had pepperoni of course.

Pre-oven.  Isn't it such a pretty pizza.  I almost hated to eat it.  Oh, but I did!


Do you see how thick the crust is? I loved the veggie combination and I used crimini mushrooms instead of button.  Nice!


Italian Pesto Dip - you are really going to want to make this one.  There will be nothing left.  It is that good.

Love to all.




This has nothing to do with pesto, but this is my soon to be pumpkin vine after a little over one week.  Love it!

And this?  Well, these two beauties are future flower girl and ring bearer in my cousins wedding.  Aren't they just precious?



4 comments:

Mom said...

Ina- step aside. That looked delish. We need some for the Henderson Thanksgiving...

Helen said...

Pizza looks great - and I am sure it was.

Julie said...

That pesto looks AWESOME! You have inspired me to take the kitchen scissors to our basil plants tomorrow and make pesto. YUM!!

PS - Your kiddos look adorable.

Jara Haisler aka p-paw said...

Amy, well I can safely say I have never eaten a grasshopper (on purpose)...they do say they are tasty! You obviously have forgotten my sage advice that the reason we have chinese buffets, food trucks, street vendors, maybe sausage and now your noted salad is to improve our immune systems. We need a certain amount of germs and impurities to be of strong body! BTW, your pesto pizza was FABULOUS....and you know I have (not by choice) become somewhat of a picky eater. Since you seemed to be blessed with critters..perhaps you should explore new recipes incorporating them.....armadillo chili, grass snack tenderloins,honey bee trail mix..you get the idea.

Jara