1.03.2012

And Happy New Year to You!

Happy New Year!  Gosh, it has been so long since my last post I had to stop for a minute to try and remember my login.  Yeah, yeah I know, I know.  I mean what the heck have I been doing?  Sometimes I wonder myself.  Where does all the time go?  Well, it has been a whirlwind of events for what seems like months, but I am optimistic that life is headed back into a more normal routine, which will allow for more blogging.  However, one of my goals for 2012 is to spend less time on the Internet.  People, I am an addict.  I am constantly looking for something, researching something, checking on something, etc.  It's ridiculous really.  I spend so much time looking for things that I can't get anything done.  Oh well, I am having a good time, people have clean clothes and good food so at least I'm not falling down on my responsibilities.  Silver lining I guess.

Ok, so being the beginning of a new year people are all about resolutions.  I usually don't make resolutions.  Not that I boycott them or anything, I just don't mark any.  Sure I follow just about everyone else and say that I am going to eat better and exercise more, but I don't come up with much else.  This year I thought I would have a living list.  What is that?  Well, you know a list that is allowed to evolve and be changed if something isn't quite working out.  I started making lists a couple of years ago.  Totally, out of character for me, but I have lived with Mark for over 8 years and have learned the value in them.  However, I have also learned that a list can make you feel awfully crummy if you keep carrying something over to the next day, or the next week, or the week after that.  So I have learned that if that happens, it obviously isn't all that important so I just mark it off the list and move on.  If it becomes important again then I will add it to the list.  So, my list or resolutions may be changing constantly, but hey, that should be A OK.  So here are a few of the things I would like to do this year.


  • Read more.
  • Master the art of homemade bread.
  • Take one picture of my children per day.  Good or bad.
  • Organize our pictures and make at least one digital photo book.  I am several years behind.
  • Spend less time on the computer/Internet.
  • Spend at least 1 hour or more a week doing projects with my kids.
  • Exercise at least 3x per week.
  • Keep my car clean.  Why is that so difficult?
  • Have at least one date a month with my sweet husband.  You would be surprised how difficult that is to do.
  • Reduce my grocery shopping trips to once a week.  I spend A LOT of time at the grocery store.
  • Plan a whole weeks worth of meals on Sunday so that I am not scrambling for dinner ideas at the last minute.
  • Paint my fingernails.  
  • Resist the urge to check my phone every 35 seconds.
  • Learn to use my new Silhouette.  Simply fabulous new toy.
  • Wear more red lipstick.
  • Spend more girl time with my friends.
  • Have more lunch dates with my mom.
  • Take better care of my garden this spring/summer.
  • Learn to can the things that we grow (see above)
  • Keep my planning area cleaned.  Currently more of a junk station.  Drives my husband nuts.  
  • Start planning my Christmas gifts early in the year.
  • Write more letters.  I love letters.
  • Travel to Boston, New York, Chicago, Seattle or California (sorry kids, adults only).  Certainly all of the above is acceptable too.
  • Plan our family summer vacation by April.
  • Find a paint color for my dining room (surprisingly difficult)
  • Finish decorating our spare room.
  • Run a 5K race.
  • Make plans to see Mark play with the Brushlanders.  Again, another difficult thing to do.
  • Plan a camping trip.
  • Learn to let things go.
  • Resist the urge to put things off until later.
  • Pray more.
  • Learn to meditate or at least learn to just sit in silence.
  • Lose 30 pounds.  Oh yeah people, I said 30.  Trust me, I will not be too thin.  
  • Re-read the Harry Potter books.  Why?  Because I love them so AND Jack keeps asking questions and I don't remember much.  You know, the whole poor memory thing.
  • Learn to be a little more forgiving of myself.  
  • Be less critical of others and their ridiculous decisions.  Ha, that was a joke folks.  
  • Open myself up for new opportunities and ideas.  
  • Finish all of my photography books on techniques/skills.  I have about 5 of them.
So what are some of the things that you would like to do this year?  Big or small, I would love to hear them.  

And because no post is complete without a picture.  Here are pictures of two of our homemade gifts this year.  I had plans for more, therefore the reason for wanting to start earlier this year.

This is a washer box that Mark made for his dad.  This is like a fine piece of furniture.  The picture simply doesn't do it justice.  He did such a fabulous job.

This is a lamp made from a wine bottle.  I simply love these.  These were so fun to make and I was thrilled with the results.  We drank the wine, that was easy enough.  Then Mark drilled a hole to string the lights.  I made the bag and tied it up with rope.  Looks great in the kitchen!  We made about 10 of these.  They were so popular that a friend from work came over to have  one made as a gift.  I have many more plans for wine bottles.  

6 comments:

The Hag said...

Great list! Love you so much Mopsie!

The Hag said...

Great list! Love you so much Mopsie!

Mom said...

Great blog. Great list!! Just one day at a time!

Jara said...

Quite optimistic....you might want to use the internet to organize your list.....oh wait that won't work. We love our homemade gifts by the way ...they are the best. Something I learned in the last few years and share often with people is that whatever you are doing is "not a destination but is a trip, a process".....enjoy the ride, not just getting there!
Jara

jara said...

I would go for a weekly date with the Mr. ....you really can't do toooo much! Just surprise him!
Jara

Julie said...

Loved your post! I just wrote a post about our Christmas and coincidentally posted a picture of a wine bottle with Christmas lights that I saw at my BIL's house! I love yours with the wine bag over it. Tutorial, please!