1.12.2012

Sinfully Delicious

What I am about to share with you is so fabulous,  so delicious,  so ridiculously sinful that you will feel like you need to run to confession because you will feel so guilty for eating it.  No exaggeration, the dessert I made last night was unbelievable.  Honestly, I couldn't even believe that I made it and I am a really good cooker as the kids would say.  You may never make another dessert again because once it touches your lips you will question the purpose of all other desserts.  Ok, so you get that it's good right?  So let's get to it.  I'll share the recipe along with the whiskey cream sauce and the caramel that I made.  Oh, I don't have a picture.  Sorry, something seems to have happened with my memory card.  

Donut Bread Pudding with Tennessee Whiskey Sauce

They claim 6 generous servings.  I would recommend smaller portions as it is really, really rich.  I also served with ice cream.  Come on, it was for a birthday.  You should be allowed to indulge every once in a while, right?

Bread Pudding
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
8 cake donuts
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 large eggs
2 1/4 cups heavy cream or whole milk
1/4 cup whiskey
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

To make the pudding - lightly brush a 9 inch square baking pan wit a little of the melted butter.  Cut the doughnuts into 2 inch chunks and throw in the pan.

In a large bowl combine remaining butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add the eggs and whisk until blended.  Whisk in heavy cream, whiskey and vanilla.  Pour the egg mixture over the doughnuts.  Press down gently with spoon, making sure to submerge all the pieces.  Allow pudding to stand at room temperature for 1 or, or cover and refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350.  Cover the pudding with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until custard is set but soft and the tops of the doughnuts are lightly browned.

Whiskey Sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons whiskey
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

To make the sauce - combine cornstarch and whiskey in a small bowl.  In a small saucepan, combine cream and sugar and heat over high heat, whisking constantly, 2-3 minutes, or until small bubbles begin to form.  Continue whisking constantly and add the whiskey mixture (it will bubble vigorously).  Continue whisking until the sauce is blended and thick.

Serve bread pudding with whiskey sauce drizzled over the top.  I added ice cream with caramel sauce.  You could also add whipped cream if you prefer.

Divine Caramel Sauce Recipe
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup light corn syrup
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup whipping (heavy) cream
DIRECTIONS:
1. In 2-quart saucepan, heat corn syrup, brown sugar and butter to boiling over low heat, stirring constantly. Boil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Stir in whipping cream; heat to boiling. Cool about 30 minutes. Serve warm. Store covered in refrigerator up to 2 months. Reheat slightly before serving if desired.

1 comment:

Helen said...

I hope Mark enjoyed the dessert. It sounds so delicious and sinful. I hope you were able to use the beautiful glasses you etched with this dessert.