2.21.2012

Happy Fat Tuesday



I love Mardi Gras.  Actually, I love New Orleans and Mardi Gras is just a byproduct of my love because for goodness sakes I would not be able to take the crowds of the true Mardi Gras festivities.  I would be upset because someone bumped me, stepped on me, or spilled their ice cold beer down my back.  So, what I really love is New Orleans, non-Mardi Gras time.  Following  me?  Good.

I believe I would fit in quite nicely in the French Quarter.  I would also probably weigh 400 pounds because I would spend the majority of my time sitting and eating the fabulous food with the creole flair.  Well, minus the boudin sausage of course.  Gosh, do not get me started on that.  You know I can go on and on, but I won't today.  I will spare you my rant.  I would love to wander around, taking in the scene eventually making my way to Cafe Du Monde for beignets and chicory coffee.  I love that regardless of your efforts you are always covered in powdered sugar (do not wear black to Cafe Du Monde).  I have a recipe for beignets I would like to try someday.  Maybe I'll just create my own little cafe setting at home.  Ah, now doesn't that sound nice?  

With the rest of my time, I would wander around listening to Zydeco music and of course one of my all-time favorite activities, people watching.  My gosh, there is every kind of person imaginable in New Orleans.  Some of the most unusual people ever.  It is fantastic!  You see in New Orleans I am also a rich woman, therefore my reason for being able to wander around, eat at one restaurant after another listening to music and people watching without a care in the world.

I should probably tell you that part of my love for New Orleans involves a really great trip Mark and I took with some friends before we were married.  Seriously, fantastic vacation and like they say what happens in.....oh, wait, that's Vegas.  Trust me it applies here.          

Ok, so today is Fat Tuesday therefore, the reason for this crazy post.  What does that mean?  Well, for us it means homemade King Cakes of course.  I had a little help with the frosting and sugar sprinkles this year.  I even convinced her we should wait until after school to have a sample, which surprisingly we were able to do.  They both loved it so much that it has already been requested for breakfast.    Really, it is just a giant cinnamon roll with extra sugar for some flair.

I use this recipe for my king cake, but I will add a little cream cheese to the cinnamon mixture next time for a little extra moisture.  I have yet to master the ooey gooey center, but it's getting there.  And, this recipe alone would explain why my weigh loss efforts have only shed 8 pounds.  Hey, you have to live a little right?

I hope you have all had a fantastic, fun filled Fat Tuesday.






1 comment:

Julie said...

We must have been sharing a brain this week. The boys and I made mini King Cakes for the class. I was scared to attempt a full sized one. Yours turned out great!