2.12.2012

New Canisters

For some time now I have wanted a new set of canisters.  Actually, I wanted A set of canisters.  I didn't have any because our last kitchen barely had enough counter space for a coffee pot and one cutting board so there certainly wasn't enough room for me to throw in a set of canisters.  Plus at that time, I was busy updating the house with my new husband and then of course the babies came so there wasn't much time for baking.  Fast forward a few years.  Our new kitchen has more than enough counter space, contrary to what my sweet husband will tell you, and so I have been itching for a place to store my two main baking supplies so that I didn't have to run back and forth to the pantry.  I mean, it is all of 10 steps people, that's a lot.  After some searching, I found plain glass canisters at Target for less than $8 a piece and they were exactly what I wanted.  I didn't want anything fancy and I wanted them to be clear glass so that I could use them without having to worry whether or not they matched my kitchen decor.  Initially, I had planned on etching them like I did the wine glasses, but then decided to go a different route in case I later wanted to use them for a different purpose.  The etching is of course permanent and considering the fact I like to change my mind, I decided to use vinyl decals that were easily removed.  I didn't want to use "flour, sugar, etc," on the labels because that just seems boring and heaven knows I don't like boring.  So we decided to go with French wording since their language makes you feel fancy.  Don't you think?  Say what you will about the French (I say nothing really because I don't know anyone French), but they do have a beautiful language.  Oh, and they make delicious pastries and breads.  Anyway, so I went with the French version of sugar, flour and sweets.  Why sweets?  Well, I didn't want to go with "cookies" because I don't always make cookies and I thought it would be weird to put something other than a cookie in a jar that was labeled cookie.  Random, I know.

Here they are.  Simply lovely.

la Farine = flour, le sucre = sugar and, les bonbons = sweets

Since I photographed the "les bonbons" empty I decided that this cloudy Sunday afternoon was a good day for a little baking.  I'll be making Peanut Butter chocolate chip cookies.  I haven't made these before, but I have made The Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookie and they are worth EVERY SINGLE CALORIE.  Promise.  Guaranteed to please the masses so try them.  Like now.  Go on, indulge a little.      

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cut granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 cup organic all purpose unbleached flour
1/2 cup old fashioned quick oats, uncooked
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips

1.  Heat oven in 375 
2.  beat butter, peanut butter, sugars and vanilla on medium speed until creamy.  Beat in egg until light and fluffy.
3.  Mix in flour, oats, soda and salt on low speed just until blended.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Form dough into 1 1/2 inch balls or use small ice cream scoop.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
4.  Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown.  Let cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes.  Remove to wire racks. 


1 comment:

Helen said...

The containers look great and I know the les bonbons container will be filled with great sweets. I have eaten a number of your sweets and they are great