2.02.2011

Winter Blast

Well, it is day two of the Winter Blast and I think we are all starting to suffer from cabin fever.  So much so that the kids have wanted to play outside BOTH days.  That is crazy!  It has been in the low teens both days and considering the fact that we live in Texas, we really don't own winter clothing to protect from these temperatures, but we have  bundled them up in layers and they seem perfectly fine.  No one seems to have suffered from hypothermia or frost bite.  I checked.  Ten fingers, ten toes still attached.  Whew!  They asked us if we would pleeeeease come out and play and our response has been, "um heck no people.  It's cold."  They look at us like we are nuts for not wanting to play in the snow and we look at them like they are nuts because they think there is  snow in the first place.  My poor, sweet children.  While this has been a very interesting winter, we still don't have snow.  What we have is ice.  We have so much ice that when Mark got home from work today he had to park on the street because our driveway is one solid piece of ice and he slid back down while trying to park.  I am so sorry that I missed it.  How did he get out of the driveway in the first place you ask?  Well, quite honestly I do not know and I watched.  Heck, I even shot video of him leaving because I wanted to be able to remind him and say, "I told you so."  Fortunately, for him he had a relatively uneventful trek to work this morning.

The kids have had a fabulous time playing outside.  Hey, maybe they are cold weather people and not sweltering heat people.  They dug around in the "snow", threw what they considered to be snow balls at each other and came in to warm up with some hot cocoa and marshmallows.  You can't have hot cocoa without marshmallows, right?

Today, we made homemade granola, oatmeal cookies and homemade bread.  Jules thought this was especially fun because she was able to watch the machine knead the bread.  We used the bread for delicious grilled cheese sandwiches this evening.  I must say I think I cut the bread wrong because these sandwiches were gigantic.  Good thing everyone was hungry.

It seems that school is cancelled again tomorrow so it looks like we will be inside for another day.  Looks like tomorrow will be arts and crafts day.  Seems like a good excuse to work on Valentine projects.

I hope you are all toasty warm.


Day 1 (check the background, do you see any snow?)


What do you think she is doing?  Ha!  She is throwing a snowball.  Imaginary of course.



I'm not sure how much you can see in the picture, but her nose and cheeks are rosy red.  When she came in I was curious if she could feel them.  They were so cold.  




The little guy is thrilled to have found some snow drift that gathered near the patio.  


Trying to warm up by snuggling with Daddy.  Doesn't get much better than that.


"Hey, I think you forgot something."


"There they are.  Marshmallows!  Forget the hot cocoa."





I think she is scowling at me because I made her wear multiple layers and she of course didn't want to.  She got over it.













2 comments:

Helen said...

Oh, what a wonderful way to spend a cold day together. Enjoy every minute of it.

Julie said...

So sweet. I love your pictures!