6.29.2011

Ssssnake!

So, Tuesday morning I wet my pants while standing out in the yard.  Well, not really, but the thought did momentarily cross my mind.  It went something like this, "oh my gosh, I think I am about to wet my pants or my heart is literally going to jump out of my chest."  Why did this happen?  Well, let me say I can control my bladder for those of you that are interested.  I was feeding the plants yesterday when I came face to face with a snake.  It was actually about 6 feet away, but it felt like it was face to face.  I was finishing up my third trip out to water the garden when I turned and thought, "that's odd that Mark would leave the hose out in the yard.  He never does that."  Very quickly, and I mean very quickly, I realized that Mark didn't leave the hose in the yard.  No, no he didn't.  I was standing face to face with a giant snake.  No, this was not a 6 inch garden snake.  This thing was about 4 ft long and staring at me.  I just stood there.  I was very thankful that the kids were not outside with me.  Honestly, I didn't know if I should stay there or if I should move, but I was afraid if I moved it would fly through the air and attack me.  Hey people, I don't know anything about snakes other than they are creepy looking and I don't want to be anywhere near them.  Fortunately, I was able to remain relatively calm and I slowly walked back into the house and told the kids to stay inside.  Actually, it was more of a demand.  Of course they wanted to know why I walked in and made such a demand with such a serious tone and once I told them they all wanted to see it (my niece and nephew were also here).  These kids were so brave.  They went outside, although I told them they were not allowed to step off of the patio.  I mean I am all for being brave, but not foolish.  So everyone stood out there in amazement at the size of this thing.  It never moved, but had it's head up.  Not in the striking position, but just looking around.  Still terrifying looking.  Within a couple of minutes it slithered in the opposite direction.

So, I am now officially afraid of my backyard!  I am now a prisoner in my own home.  Good thing I have a lot of space to roam around in here.  Good grief.  We need to buy a high rise condo next time!

Picture quality is terrible, but surely you understand why I didn't want to get all up close and personal with this thing.




2 comments:

Donna said...

That is one BIG snake!! My gosh what is next in that home, rabid bats!!!

Julie said...

No way! That thing is huge!! I'm with you, I would be staying inside from now on.