6.01.2011

National Donut Day

Did you know that today was National Donut Day?  I didn't either, but thanks to my Oriental Trading calendar, there are a lot of fun days over the summer.

Speaking of summer, we have had an interesting start to ours.  Officially, our summer started yesterday.  No school for Jack meant the beginning of a string of days when no one, with the exception of Mark, had to jump up and get dressed.  I had high hopes for our first day.  Jack and I were discussing what to do for the day when I decided to open the back door and personally test out the current temperature.  Afterwards we had planned to go for a walk and figure out our day.  This all changed in a split second.  As I opened the door a scorpion scurried across my foot and into the living room and under a chair.  As I tried to get it and squash it of course, it ran under the couch.  This is where my obsession began and I sent my sweet children upstairs.  I searched under the couch.  I turned it upside down.  I vacuumed.  I searched closets.  I vacuumed some more.  I vacuumed closets and picked up baskets and boxes to make sure it wasn't hiding.  I could not find it anywhere.  This sucker was hiding and going to wait until I wasn't watching.  You know, because they have brains large enough to plot against me and all.  I spent most of the day searching for this scorpion.  I was scared to remove my shoes (yes, please feel free to send me your therapists phone numbers, I could use them I'm sure).  I was exhausted.  My floors were clean though.  I guess if one is looking for a silver lining that would be it.  

Finally, Mark made it home inquiring as to whether or not my search was a successful one.  We sat down for dinner and I stared at the couch.  I was convinced that it had crawled up into a tear in the lining and it was waiting.  Now, I will tell you that my husband loves me very much.  So much so, that he never once laughed at me or told me I was being ridiculous.  What did he do?  After dinner, he quietly got up and started removing the lining from the couch so that he could search for the scorpion.  He loves me, and he doesn't want to be stung either of course.  For almost 2 hours he pulled off the lining, staple by staple and searched.  When he came to the conclusion that it wasn't there or we weren't going to find it he put it all back together.  He said goodnight to our children and sat down.  I, on the other hand, was too afraid to sit on the couch.  There was a scorpion in there for crying out loud!  He started to turn out the lights, but I was reading so he decided to leave them on just a bit.  He sat on the couch while I sat in a chair with my feel off of the ground and tried not to think about being stung in the middle of the night.  All of a sudden I see something.  Honest to goodness truth.  I have searched for this thing since 8:30 am and at 10:30 pm, AFTER we tear apart the couch, it decides to show up.  I whisper ever so quietly that I see it.  I want to scream, but amazingly I am some what in control of myself.  We both kind of freeze trying to adjust our eyes to make certain.  As soon as we move, it moves.  Oh heck no buddy, you are not getting away this time.  As we get closer we realize it wasn't a scorpion at all, but a wolf spider.  I didn't care, that thing had to go and go it did.  Mark got up, took care of business, and I made my way back to sit by him on the couch.  I will tell you though that I still didn't sleep very well.  I had the creeps.

Fortunately, today has been a much, much better day.  I mean, first of all National Donut Day?  How fabulous and how can donut day not be a good day?  It just isn't possible.  Being a National day and all I assumed it was a requirement that we participate.  So we did.  Since yesterday was such an interesting day we had to make today better, much better.  Off we went for donuts.  The kids, of course, thought this was the best breakfast ever.  I might as well have given them a bag of sugar.  It is just about the same.  The donuts were good though.  What?  You thought I passed up a donut?  I should have, but alas I did not.  We then headed to the park to work off some of those extra calories and picked out a few books at the library.  So, day two of our summer adventure is turning out to be much better.


Which to choose?  Mark would have been disappointed, not a large selection of cake donuts.  Who likes cake donuts anyway?  Do you know that he doesn't like Krispy Kreme donuts?  Do you believe it?  No wonder he is so thin.  Well, that and a good set of genes I do believe.








Chocolate was his favorite, although he was eyeing my plain jane donut.




Patiently waiting for me to take a picture so that she could.... 



Dig




Right 




In





Burning off some calories.  (yes, we have a hair appointment scheduled)




Future gymnast or daredevil.  Yes, her shoes are on the wrong feet.  Always! 

  


And finally, the sugar crash.  






Very fun day.  Certainly beats the pants off of yesterday.  

2 comments:

Helen said...

Sounds like you had a good day, no not the scorpion day -the donut day. I am sure Jack and Julia enjoyed the donuts.

Mom said...

Where did you get that phobia? My goodness, you must be tortured. Poor girl.