4.06.2009

Why is the sky blue?

All parents remember the moments when they are asked questions that they aren't sure how to answer. Well, today was one of those moments for me. Now, it wasn't a birds and the bees question or anything of that sort, but it was a question about the sky, specifically, "why is the sky blue"? Some of you may think that this is a simple question to answer, I on the other hand did not. I started rambling off things about reflection from the ocean and blah blah blah. This led to more questions that I couldn't answer. I was just digging a very deep hole for myself. Even as I was saying this non-sense I knew that I needed to look it up, we needed to look it up, so that we could learn something new together. Well, here is what I found on Wikipedia....

"The sunlit sky appears blue because air scatters short-wavelength light more than longer wavelengths. Since blue light is at the short wavelength end of the visible spectrum, it is more strongly scattered in the atmosphere than long wavelength red light. The result is that the human eye perceives blue when looking toward parts of the sky other than the sun. Near sunrise and sunset, most of the light we see comes in nearly tangent to the Earth's surface, so that the light's path through the atmosphere is so long that much of the blue and even green light is scattered out, leaving the sun rays and the clouds it illuminates red. Therefore, when looking at the sunset and sunrise, you will see the color red more than any of the other colors."

Anyone want to tell me how to explain that to a 3 year old? He is a smart kid though, maybe I should just give it a shot. Actually, he probably won't like what I have to say so he will ask his super smart dad when he gets home from work. Now, he would be the one to explain why the sky is blue.

No comments: