11.24.2009

Eat Your Veggies!!!

The past several weeks we have eaten pure junk.  There is no nice way to say it, but we have eaten awful, fatty, quick, drive-thru food.  You see, we packed our kitchen over a week before the move and we had nothing in there but paper plates, plastic cups and all of the left over food that we were trying to get rid of.  Well, my body has craved veggies, good veggies and I must have had a moment of weakness on one of my shopping trips so I picked up frozen brussels sprouts.  I couldn't even believe it when I did, but I was so hungry I was willing to try anything except the standard green beans, spinach or salad.  My family likes broccoli and green peas.  I do not!  Well actually broccoli doesn't like me really.  I will make those things occasionally, but honestly doesn't the cook usually make things that they too will enjoy eating?

Ok, so I called Mark that day and told him he had a surprise dinner and I figured he would turn his nose up when he saw what it was, although I am not sure why, he is more willing to try new foods than I am. They were delicious!  Seriously, at first I thought they tasted like spinach, you know like lots of meat taste like chicken (ha), but then we decided it tastes like cauliflower.  Since we enjoyed it I decided we would try something new for Thanksgiving.  This year we will add Bacon Brown Sugar Brussels Sprouts to the menu.  Now, the bacon is a stretch for me, but I bought it anyway.  I usually subject my family to turkey bacon.  I know you Czechs are screaming about now :)

I headed to the grocery store today to pick up a few things for the festivities and I didn't figure I would be able to find brussels sprouts, but I did and what a treat!  I just started laughing, yes a grown woman laughing at a vegetable at the grocery store.  I know I really need to act my age.  Anyway, check this thing out.  I had no idea this is what they looked like.

So this Thanksgiving eat your veggies, you might be in for a real treat :)

Love ya -

Amy



1 comment:

The Hag said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_sprout

check the advice on overcooking... they can get stinky, so let's keep'em al dente!

Love,
Popsie