Oh, the delicious smells that are coming from the kitchen. I love this time of year. I don't care for all of the chaos per se, but I do love the family time, cooking delicious recipes and the overall merriment of the season. Although this year will probably more chaotic than most. Usually, by this time of year I am at least "almost" finished with holiday shopping, but I have not purchased one item. This time is always tough because it is Thanksgiving, Jack's birthday and then Christmas. That is a lot of events in 4 weeks. I still have shopping and a lot of monsters to make for the big party. I really need to get started. I need to be doing a lot of things, one being unpacking things that are still in boxes at my moms house. We at least have a path to walk through the house, can see the top of the kitchen table and Popsie and I have some semblance of a room. The first few days we had things piled everywhere and we still do, but it is getting better. Each day I unpack a little. I will tell you that I will NEVER be posting a picture of my moms garage. We had it nice and organized for one day. The next day we had taken over with the "few" things we brought from our old home. We will probably have it all organized by the time we need to start packing again. Oh well, we all need something to do right? Although I can think of many, many things that I would rather do. Like sit and do nothing actually. That would be nice, at least for an afternoon anyway.
Ok, so back to the delicious smells. I am working on my dressing. Oh, how I love my dressing. This is truly one of my most favorite foods along with mac-n-cheese (goodness that is fabulous), and a really good turkey burger. Actually my most favorite is a turkey spanakopita burger, although I have only made it once. Honestly, it is so delicious I called my brother and told him how foolish he was to have passed on dinner at my house that night. Mark and I were in awe of the awesomeness. It is time consuming, that is the reason I have only made it once, but now that I write about it, I might have to make it again. So my dressing, yeah it's awesome. I love it and most of my family likes it although, I cannot take credit for the recipe. A woman I used to work with gave it to me years ago and my mouth just waters when I think about it. I can smell the cornbread that is fresh from the oven, but you know that it is dressing when you smell the onions and celery sauteing in enough butter to make Paula Deen proud. But what makes dressing, dressing? It is the sage. That is what makes it dressing. I think you either love it or you hate it though. My husbands laughs at me and my sage because he says that is what makes sausage, sausage and since I turn up my nose to that he is surprised that I love sage the way that I do. However, what makes sausage, sausage is not the sage it is the parts that no person should really be eating. It is actually wrong that a person would find those parts of the animal appetizing. I will make it though because my kids and husband like it, but I honestly think that if that was the only food left on the planet, I might have to go hungry.
Ok, I have gotten off track as usual and I need to get back to my cooking. Let's hope that there is some dressing left for tomorrow. I told you how I love it so it will take will power to keep from eating it today. Saving grace is that I absolutely MUST sample it to make sure that there is the right amount of sage :)
It really is starting to smell a lot like Thanksgiving.
Love -
Amy
Do you see how the sage is taking center stage here? Yeah baby! Oh, do not drink from the tall vintage glasses unless you would like a nice tall glass of fat :)
11.25.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment