1.04.2010

2010

It is the year 2010!  That doesn't even seem real to me.  Honestly, when I was younger and I would think of anything after 1999 it seemed ancient, foreign, I would be old (which I am not BTW) and I thought we would be flying through the skies like the Jetson's.  We would all have our own personal hover craft and we would wear funny clothes and have robots as maids.  While things are certainly very different none of those strange, foreign things exist.  All that seems different is that I am grown up and have a family and do grown up things.  As a teenager, I wanted to hurry and grow up because I could do what I wanted, when I wanted, make my own decisions without having to consult anyone.  That seems so funny now.  It seems funny because I do have to make my own decisions, but I still consult a lot of people about different things.  I have learned that it is OK to seek outside counsel and I don't have to do everything by myself.  I don't know everything (shocking I know) so I gather information from people who know a lot about things that I don't.  What do all of these ramblings mean?  Well, nothing actually.  Being in the year 2010 means that I am a grown up and with that comes some wonderful things, but it also comes with decisions, decisions that no one likes to make regardless of what stage they are in life.  Are you all shaking in your boots wondering what this is?  Well, relax it isn't earth shattering or anything of that nature, but it is a little sad.  You see, my dog Scout was diagnosed with diabetes today.  Who ever heard of such?  Well, a lot of people I am sure, but goodness gracious.  It explained a lot though.  The past six months or so have been maddening with Scout.  Without going into graphic detail, he urinated on everything, including himself, constantly.  I just thought he was lazy (which he is) and old (which he is).  Actually, it had nothing to do with either of these things.  My 13 year old dog is diabetic.  Gosh, I was crushed.

See, before my family I did everything with my dog.  He slept with me, he went where I went, I would go straight home after work and wouldn't do things with my friends because I had to take care of my dog.  I did things people, I wasn't a total hermit, but I did have to check on my dog first.  I would go on vacation and call the kennel and make sure that my dog was OK and I would cry while they explained that he was doing just fine without me.  My, my how things changed.  I had a family and my four legged friend was now secondary to all things.  I became busy with my family and my dog took a backseat.  Now, honestly he didn't seem to care, he has always been a lazy dog that just laid around so it wasn't as if we were playing fetch in the park and then all of a sudden weren't, but he did become second, then third, then fourth and now we are where we are today.  My old, cloudy eyed, diabetic dog named Scout.

While I am optimistic that 2010 is going to be a great year, a fabulous year right now 2010 means having to be a grown up, making grown up decisions when I don't want to.

May your new year start on a more positive note than mine, but if I look for the silver lining it is that my dog surprisingly doesn't feel bad, he just sleeps a lot, which isn't all that different than any other day, so for now, we will take one day at a time and hope for more good days than bad ones.  Down side, well, he is going to tinkle more than he already does and that seems hard to believe.  Shocking actually...

No comments: