So for months now Mark and I have been staring at Julia waiting for her to say something. We knew that she understood what we were saying because you could ask her something and she would go get what you were talking about it, point to it, something. That eased our concerns because we knew she at least understood what was going on around her, but the girl refused to speak (we weren't really concerned, just ready to hear something). Our pediatrician said that was partly a second child thing, especially since they were so close in age. She said that Julia has her own personal translator so she doesn't have to speak because he will do it for her.
We have been saying for some time that we figured all of a sudden one day she would start talking and that is exactly what has happened. Now, she isn't speaking in sentences or anything, but she is saying all kinds of words. I mean she has been saying mommy, daddy, bubba, etc. for some time, but not much else. Let me tell you though, she has MASTERED the word "NO". That is her response for almost everything, unless it involves food and then it is "yes", but she is a really good eater so I can't complain.
She also sticks her hand out (think of someone signally STOP) when she says no. She really wants to drive the point home that she means no.
This morning was a funny little moment. Not, laugh out loud, roll on the floor funny, but funny, cute, glad I witnessed kind of moment. She gets up and starts looking for her daddy and keeps calling out his name (Daddy, not Mark) and so I say to her, "Jules, Daddy is at work. He will be home later."
She stops. You can tell she is really processing what I just said. She then nods her head as if saying "I understand what you are saying, " and then says, "ohhhhhhh." It was like, oh, ok I get it, he isn't here right now. Like I said, not fall on the floor, side-splitting funny, but it was one of those moments I was glad to witness instead of someone else having the pleasure.
Love ya -
Amy
1.13.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment