1.07.2010

An apple a day...

You know the old saying, "an apple a day keeps the doctor away?"  Well, according to recent studies the peel of an apple isn't all that great for you.  It has to do with all of the pesticides used to keep the bugs away and the fact that in order to get "some" of it off you would have to wash your apple with soap and water and even then there are still residual traces of pesticide on that apple that you are eating or even worse, feeding to you children.  How many of you have told your children that all of the vitamins are in the skin?  Now, do any of you know that to be a fact or have you heard that a 100 times yourself and you assumed that your parents or grandparents knew what they were talking about so you now tell your children the exact same thing?   Well, I bet your parents also told you that you shouldn't cut the crust off of the bread because all of the vitamins are in that too.  Am I right?  Well, I just cannot believe that.  Seriously, during the baking process all of the vitamins are sucked out of the middle of the bread and into the crust?  I think not.  So at my house, we trim the crust, we waste a lot of bread and we cut our sandwiches into shapes, and you know what, my son will eat it.  I have to thank Mark for that idea.  Seriously, it was a good one.  It is important to pick your battles and whether or not your kid eats the crust is not one of the more important things in life.  At least not in my opinion.

Ok, so back to the apples.  I really don't like peeling apples.  I don't know why.  Maybe I am afraid I will cut my hand with the little razor blades that you use to peel it.  Who knows.  Although, if I use the  peeler at my in-laws it wouldn't do a thing.  That is the dullest peeler ever.  Seriously, I'm not sure how they use it, but it seems to work just fine for them.  Maybe it is operator error or maybe they are the smart ones and realized that the sharp ones are like little knives and will slice off a layer of skin along with the peel of an apple or a potato.  I don't know.  Anyway, back to my story.  Just recently I finally got Jack to eat the peel of an apple and he liked it.  I was thrilled because that meant I didn't have to peel them any longer.  Not a week later, I read an article about organic foods and what you should and shouldn't eat.  The same article discussed the fact that you shouldn't eat canned tomatoes.  You should only eat tomatoes out of glass jars.  I wish I could find the article, but I cannot so you will just have to believe me.  Actually, if you get right down to it, we shouldn't eat most of the things that we do and the things that we believe are good really aren't good because of all of the pesticides.  So, I guess we should just drink water, well depending on where you live, and foods....well, that is a toss up.  Today it is good for you, tomorrow it won't be.

Here is an article on the benefits of apples.  You know, in your spare time and if you are bored.   And here are some little tidbits about apples.  Do you think that you eat 65 apples a year?  Also, this second link shows that the skin of an apples has more antioxidants than the flesh, but if the skin is covered in pesticides doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of eating them?  Just saying...

What does any of this have to do with anything?  Well, true to form....nothing.

But people, stop making your kids eat the peel if they don't like it an for goodness sakes let them have crustless sandwiches.

Love ya -

Amy

No comments: