Tomorrow is the big surgery day. We are all saying goodbye to the little guys ridiculously gigantic tonsils. Seriously people, these things are huge. I'm surprised he can get any food past those things. Today has been mostly positive in regards to tonsillectomy conversations. He has been optimistic and fairly jovial when discussing the removal of said tonsils and even joked that the gas they were going to give him was actually "poop gas" and why in the world would they do that.
This all changed this evening when Jules got to stay with Nana. All of a sudden, everything was unfair and unkind and he couldn't get over the fact that his sister was getting to have fun, dress in regular clothes (he is wearing pj's to the dr) and she doesn't have to go to the doctor and have surgery. What is interesting about his reference to dressing in regular clothes is that he almost always prefers pj's. Then again, who wouldn't? Seriously I love a nice comfy pair of jammies.
Anyway, so the ride home was a power struggle and he was trying with all his might to milk this as much as possible. He thought he should be able to eat as many starbursts as he liked (he did eat a lot of them), he wanted to watch movies late into the night (no) and he wanted to open both of the new toys his daddy gave him as a small bribe (he did get to open one).
All-in-all, we did ok. I think both parents are a little nervous. Gosh, who wouldn't be? He is four, he is little and he is scared. Isn't that heartbreaking? Maybe not the fact that he is four, but the fact that he is four, little and scared? I am scared for him. I know it will all be fine. I mean people have tonsillectomies everyday. Mine are gone, Mark's are gone, my grandmother had hers removed in her 40's, my great-grandmother had hers removed in her 70's or 80's (now isn't that crazy). It is just frightening to have your small little person put under anesthesia and to know that for the next few days he is going to have one hell of a sore throat.
If I put aside the reasons for being nervous I do know that those suckers are giant, he cannot breath very well, he has trouble eating, trouble sleeping, he snores (ever so slightly) and there are also studies that show large tonsils can lead to attention deficit disorders (who knew) and orthodontia issues (Mark told me about those last two and considering he is a rocket scientist I believed him).
I am hoping for good drugs and a clear headed genius of a doctor (he came highly recommended) and an anesthesiologist that is as kind to my son in person as he was in his phone message today (and that of course he knows what he is doing....that is a given peple). I am hoping that my son is the one that thinks this is a walk in the park and is thrilled by the fact that he can eat ice cream, jello and noodles for days. I'm also hoping that Mark and I get some sleep tonight.
Oh, Jack likes to get cards in the mail for anyone reading. I'm sure he would like to know that people are thinking of him. Don't we all like that?
Anyway, love to all. Say lots of prayers.
Amy

1 comment:
P-paw and I are praying for him and Mom & Dad. I know everything will be okay. We love you all. by the way - cute picture!!!!!!
Post a Comment