Well, on Thursdays they have a small farmers market in downtown Grand Prairie and I have been wanting to check it out for some time now. There always seems to be something else that comes up or it is too late, so today was going to be the day. I only had one trip planned for after the farmers market, but I wasn't going to tell the children because then they would ask me about it every 3 minutes. I decided to wait and let them know about it at the appropriate time. That time would be when we were headed to this special place.
As it turned out, the farmers market was certainly no Dallas Farmers Market (I miss that). There were three small tables and not a lot to choose from so we chose some pickling cucumbers. I was really disappointed, but the kids enjoyed running around so it worked out ok. The real find was an antique store that just happened to be next door to the market. I hesitated to enter because well, the little lady wants to touch everything and I wasn't really planning to buy anything. I just wanted to take a look around. The kids had such a wonderful time and it was a nice little break from the usual. We found old toy trains, trucks and airplanes. We found an old pram (baby carriage). There was an old Raggedy Ann and Andy that I really wanted because I had those when I was little, but seriously what is a grown woman going to do with two dolls? There were old military trunks (I really wanted one of those). The greatest find were three very old typewriters. Old, like you would see in an old (man I am using that word a lot) movie. The kids thought these were fabulous. Jack told me he really wanted to buy one so that he could bring it home, put it in his room, and type letters to people. Gosh, I thought that was pretty clever for a little person. How did he know that people used typewriters for letters? Genius I tell you :)
I decided that the little lady was borderline Tazmanian devil and it was time to leave. About that time she knocks over an old heavy soda shop stool and thank the heavens above it didn't hit anything else. It was time to go. STAT! The little guy was doing a dance anyway so I could tell that he had to make a pit stop some place quick.
We were ready to go to our special place. I still hadn't let them know yet what we were doing next. Everyone is loaded up and I tell them we are going to have a treat. Of course, Jack wants to know instantly what it was, but I decided that he could wait until we were there. Besides I didn't know where I was at the moment and my GPS wasn't helping me get to where I was going because it didn't recognize the name. I wasn't sure how long it was going to take us. Plus, the special treat was only available to the first 1000 people and it was almost 12. We could be out of luck, but I was optimistic.
We ended up driving through the nicest, most green, lush, tree filled area of Cedar Hill. I loved it. I made me happy to live here, or at least nearby I guess. I love trees. Why? I don't know really. Maybe it is because I am so fair complected and really can't be out in the sun so I prefer the shade and it is cooler in the shade. You can have picnics under the shade trees, you can read a book, you can have a tree house, or an old tire swing. I don't know I just like trees. I had a huge tree growing up, maybe that is why. Anyway, it was a nice peaceful little drive. As I am about to drive off the road because I am taking pictures of the trees (yes, dumb I know), Jack starts asking me when we are going to be there. Fortunately, we were right around the corner. We had made it! Now, I hoped we were one of the first 1000.
I was taking the kids to Bakery on a Hill. It was free cupcake day for the first 1000 people. We haven't been to the bakery before, but this seemed like a good reason to try it out. Oh, as soon as I walked in it looked like a little slice of heaven. They had cupcakes, cookies, and other delicious looking baked treats. The kids both had your standard cupcakes, but I decided to try the one everyone was raving about the Pancake and Bacon cupcake (bacon pancake cupcakes iced with maple syrup icing and topped with bacon). I know, I know I don't really eat bacon, but if you heard how everyone was talking about it you would have tried it too. I hadn't eaten breakfast so why not? It was delicious! Jack devoured his and Julia, well, she ate the icing and then stopped because her brother ran off to play and since he was playing she had to play too. Monkey see, monkey do. It's crazy, but so very true.
Oh, I did end up buying a cookie because the kids kept sticking their hand on this one particular M&M cookie and I felt obligated to buy it. We saved that one for later.
We decided to venture over to the bookstore. You see, I love trees and books. Now, isn't that odd? You know, considering the fact that the books are printed on paper, i.e. trees? Anyway, we wandered around, read a story or two and purchased a couple of bargain books with the understanding that we would have to get rid of one book for each book that we purchased. Seems fair and goodness those kids have enough books as it is. I had to keep steering them away from the toys though. Now really, why are there toys in the bookstore? Obviously, I know why, but still.
We had a very lovely morning, one that everyone seemed to enjoy very much.
check out the pouty face to the left

the sun is really too bright mom!



writing letters to loved ones

old pram




now isn't this a site? Minus the towers and other cars, but the fact that there is open space. Nice.

Pancake and bacon cupcake






2 comments:
Great, great blog.
What a great Mom! Especially like the "buy a book - give away a book" concept. You are a good teacher!!!!
Post a Comment