7.01.2010

Just 10 minutes please


Sometimes I struggle being a stay-at-home-mom.  It's true.  I admit it.  I wouldn't trade it, but I do struggle some days.  Sometimes I just want a few minutes to do something for myself.  Something non-kid related.  Something that I like to do.  Like right now, I really want to finish this very simple blog post, but my four year old is weaving in and out of my legs and under my dress because he is "pretending that he lives under my skirt."  I did not make that up.  I am all for having an imagination.  I encourage it, but does it have to involve me and my dress?

However, it is little conversations that I get to enjoy that remind me that I want to be the person that gets to experience this and not someone else.  While I may struggle and I may long for adult conversations or lunches that don't involve peanut butter or jelly, I wouldn't want someone else to get the pleasure and the pure joy of spending their days with my children.

This afternoon Jack wanted to help me prepare for dinner and this is what we talked about.  

Jack - "Mommy I am a really good chef."

Mommy - "Yes, you really are a good chef.  I enjoy cooking with you."

Jack - "Maybe I should work in a restaurant some day.  I don't know."

Mommy - "You could do that if you like."

Jack - "Well, maybe I should be a trashman."

Mommy - "You could do that too.  You can be whatever you like.  There are a lot of choices."

Jack - "You know it is really hard to know what to do when you grow up when you are still little."

Mommy - "Yes, it is.  Sometimes it is difficult to know what you want to do even when you are a grown up.  I would know."

Jack - "Well, I just don't know yet."

Mommy - "You have a lot of time to figure that out."

Jack - "Do you like it when I help you cook and that way you don't have to do everything?"

Mommy - "I really like it when you help me."

Goodness, I love that boy.



2 comments:

grandma Helen said...

I would love to help you cook if I would get a big bowl of ice cream like the one Jack is eating.

p-paw/jara said...

Very nice....would be good with some Kahlua! ---you know like for Mom.