7.20.2010

Strangers

This afternoon I escaped into my room for a few minutes.  I was enjoying the fan blowing in my face at high speed.  You see, Mark doesn't like the fan as much as I do.  He says it drys him out, well for me, it is pure bliss. I love the air blowing my hair around.  I love how I feel just a little bit chill, yet not cold.  I love the fan.  When the fan turns off, I wake up.  Anyway, so I was relaxing for a moment (no I wasn't napping).  The little monkeys were running, so I did close my eyes.  Sometimes I just think it is better to not see what is going on, that way I can stop saying, "quit doing that, why are you  hitting him/her, no jumping, stop running, get your hands off the walls they are dirty, please pick up your shoes, stop screaming."  You get the idea.  So I closed my eyes and enjoyed the cool breeze.  

I heard the doorbell ring, but as I have said before I don't answer the door when the doorbell rings.  Either it is someone I don't care to talk to or it is UPS.  Neither requires that I answer the door.  So as always, I ignored the doorbell.

Realizing that I needed to get up and do something I opened my eyes and turned to get up only to see not one, but TWO strange men walking in my backyard.  One of them was standing in my back yard looking toward the family room windows.  I am thinking, "what the hell?"  I stop for a minute trying to think of what I needed to do.  Did I just watch?  Did I open the door and say, get out of here?  What?  I watched for a minute as they are measuring my house, particularly the area where one might put an outdoor kitchen and I'm thinking to myself, "they must be at the wrong house because my money tree is not currently producing any fruit."  I finally decided I'm going to ask them what in the world they are doing in my backyard.

I start with this, "ummm, who are you?" and this is how the rest of the conversation goes...

Dudes - "we rang the door bell."

Me - "OK, but who are you?"

Dudes - "we are with the appraisal district and we are measuring all of the new homes."

Me - "OK."

And with that I close the door.  

I was annoyed that they were in my yard.  They were annoyed that I didn't answer the door.  Well, not really annoyed, but slightly perturbed maybe.

I guess maybe I should start answering the door.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No you should not answer the door. Remember "Danger Stranger", it is still true.