3.15.2011

The Candy Barrel



Often times it feel as if I spend a lot of time saying, "no, not now, maybe later."  Over and over throughout the day I say the same phrases.  I have really tried lately to stop and think as to why I am saying, "no, not now, maybe later."  I have actually changed my mind several times and said, "well why not?"

This weekend we went out for the Fort Worth St. Patty's Day parade.  It was much more family friendly than the Dallas parade.  However, it wasn't turning out to be nearly as thrilling for the kids as I had hoped.  The lines were of course really long and in order to see the parade we  had to camp out in a spot for 30 minutes or so.  The kids thought this was incredibly boring.  Actually, so did I.  I mean who wants to just sit there?  Well, I do sometimes.  Really, sometimes I like to just sit there and do nothing.  My kids, not so much.  Part of the sitting there turned out to be fairly entertaining because some wacka-do mother came along with 15 children and expected all of us that had waited to make room for all of her children.  She yelled at some of us that we should make room for the kids because a parade is for kids.  Well excuse me fine, upstanding woman, but I am not moving out of the way so that your children can trample my children.  My advice to her would be have been, "get here earlier next time chica."  However, my sweet husband could detect that I was about to mouth off to an irrational person and asked me kindly to keep myself in check.  Fortunately, for me the lady next to me did all of the mouthing so I just got to sit back and watch.  See, sometimes just sitting is really entertaining.

So we waited, we saw the parade, one of us came within arms reach of a longhorn or something, we saw a bunch of grown people dressed up as if they just got off of the wagon headed out west looking for gold (I really want to grab one of these people one day and ask them how they found such a club.  I'm not making fun.  I'm honestly curious).  When the festivities were over we decided to take a little walk around the shopping/food section of the stockyards and as we were walking around I found our next stop.  The Candy Barrel.  This place had barrel after barrel of candy.  All kinds of candy.  All kinds of ridiculously overpriced candy, but I knew that our children would think that was the best time ever if they were able to wander around and pick out an assortment of candy.  So off we go.  I saw Mark look at the price per pound (8.95....crazy right?), but we were taking the kids in there anyway.  I didn't blame him.  I mean almost $9 for a pound of candy is nuts.   It wasn't gourmet candy.  It was regular candy that you yourself buy in the checkout line as that last minute impulse buy.   However, these little people needed an experience, something fun that they don't get to do everyday and of course, they like candy.  I thought for certain that they wouldn't get anywhere near a pound of candy.  Oh My Gosh!  How wrong was I?  I was almost 2 pounds wrong.  I couldn't believe it.  But you know what, our children thought it was a fabulous time.  They bounced around from barrel to barrel with a sparkle in there eyes asking if they could have this candy, or that candy.  Could they have 2 pieces of this?  Three pieces of that one?  You betcha (channeling my inner Sarah Palin.  Kidding!)  As we walked out of the store $16 later and with three bags full of assorted treats, the boy has a little extra skip in his step and is grinning ear-to-ear.  He asked me over and over, "can I have another piece of candy?"  My response was, "eat all of the candy you want, we don't do this everyday."  Yeah, I know sugar isn't great for kids, but again I go back to the, 'we don't do this everyday,' thing.  So they ate and ate and ate until finally we had to stop them because they couldn't even walk across the street because they were too busy digging around in their bags of candy.

Now, I cannot totally blame the $16 price tag on the kids, Mommy & Daddy shared a bag of candy too.  Although, we have SERIOUSLY different tastes in candy.  I have great taste and Popsie, well his is just different.  I mean, who picks up those orange peanut looking candies or ginger flavored candy?  Come on man, you are in a candy shop get some chocolate!

It was fun and they kids thought it was a hoot.  I will just have to remember not to take the same path in the stockyards again, because Jack will most definitely believe that we should do that each and every time we go.

(disclaimer, my head is full of yuck and I am on an assortment of medications so there is no telling whether or not this post makes any sense at all.)


Waiting.  Do you see the bored expression on Jack's face.  He is not digging this parade thing. 




Really, what is this goat doing?


This picture is funny.  She is light as a feather, stiff as a board.  Actually, I think the split second I picked her up, Popsie snapped a picture.  Hey, both kids were looking so he had to take advantage.  She almost looks like one of those ventriloquist dolls.  Why?  I don't know.  Maybe it is the limp legs or something.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved this story.