3.24.2011

My Day with Strawberry Shortcake

Today is the first day, in what seems like forever, that I have nothing to do.  Well, nothing out of the normal daily activities (school, meals, etc.)  I have no photographs to edit, no looming projects that I have only partially finished.  Oh, I guess that isn't entirely true.  I could be painting, but hey, that isn't really urgent now is it?  I don't think so either.  Plus, my husband hasn't done the prep work and he is much taller than me so I'm going to blame it on him.  Yeah, yeah that's what I'll do.  It does feels really, really nice to have nothing to do.  I'm just sitting here and I don't feel guilty about it.  Instead of running around like a frazzled maniac, I'm just going to enjoy my day with my own little Strawberry Shortcake.  Why the name?  Well, if this child eats one more strawberry, she just might turn into a strawberry.  Why can't she like inexpensive fruit?

Last night we had breakfast for dinner (love that) and Strawberry Shortcake ate almost a full small basket of strawberries herself.  I'm not complaining, I mean at least she is eating fruit and lots of it.

Today, we made a stop at the grocery store and she of course wanted more strawberries.  Initially, I was like heck no.  I can't afford your $3 a day habit (I kid, I kid).   Of course I bought them.  I mean what mother doesn't want their children to ask for fruit instead of candy?  Well, let me tell you they are ALL gone and I only ate two.  I should have bought more because the two that I ate were delicious.  She started to save a really giant one for her dad, but she thought he wouldn't mind if she ate it.  At least she thought about sharing so that's good right?

What does this have to do with strawberries?  Nothing, she is just so pretty, even with hair in her eyes.  Which by the way she will not let me comb.  Just in case you were wondering.  

The strawberry was at least as big as her hand.  That sucker was huge!

I never knew that one could be so excited over strawberries (and raspberries)


After stopping at the grocery store, we ran into the Salvation Army next door and oh for goodness sakes I found the perfect chest of drawers.  It is really old, not very tall, has a mirror on top and even has a little vanity mirror that slides out.  It was too cute.  I didn't like the price tag so I'll just have to wait and watch.  She is a fun little shopping partner most of the time.  She likes to look around and check things out.  She of course wants to pick up every glass item in the store.  I think she likes to see my face when I panic that she is going to drop it because almost always she looks at me and says, "I careful Mommy."

We didn't make any big purchases, but I did pick up two pieces of fun jewelry.  They spoke to me and I paid less than $5 for them combined so it seemed like a good idea.  After our rummaging through trash to treasure items we headed home.  We had nothing else to do.  It was fabulous.  I didn't have 15 other things to mark off of my to-do list.  It was an easy morning of wandering around with my favorite little gal.

Because I know you wanted to see what treasures I found today.  The bracelet...too cute!  The H, well I just liked it.   


Once we got home I asked if she wanted to check out the ladybird beetles (lady bugs) in the front lawn.
Why am I calling them birds & beetles?  Supposedly, they aren't bugs at all, but really beetles and according to wikipedia, scientists prefer that these coccinellidae be called ladybird beetles or lady flys.  Who knew?  The reason we we looking at these little creatures is because our front yard has about 100 of them.  No, this time, I am not exaggerating.  They are everywhere.  Actually, the larva and pupa are everywhere.  We have only seen about 5-10 actual ladybird beetles.  I think it is so much fun.  I'm sure my neighbors wonder what I am doing.  You see, these little things are all on the stones in the front of the house so when the neighbors are doing their evening walk they see me squatted down looking at a rock.  I'm sure they think I have lost it, which is entirely possible, but what they don't know is that I am mesmerized by these little creatures.  Strawberry Shortccake and her dad were upset with me the other night because they wanted to go for a walk and I held them up (for all of 2 minutes) looking at beetles.  It is so interesting to see them all gathered together on the rocks, going through the various stages of the ladybird metamorphosis.

So we spent some time checking things out.  She took pictures of the beetles and I took pictures of her.  It was win, win baby.

It was a sweet, precious day and I have enjoyed every single moment of it.    

These are her pictures (pretty fabulous for a 2 year old).  Click on her pictures and you will be able to see the beetles a little better.

The little blackish looking bumps to the left are the larva or the pupa.  One stage looks awfully similar to the other.  Then they turn an orange color.  Really neat.  

To the right




 And these are mine.






She is really thinking about the angle


The kid totally dressed herself and she rocked the leggings and pink boots.  Rocked it!    

PS - Ladybird beetles must have a calming effect because my bushes were covered with bees and I didn't freak our or run once.  I just gave myself a personal High 5.   


No comments: