3.08.2011

Happy Fat Tuesday



Well, the cake isn't pretty, but it is delicious.  How do I know?  I sampled it of course.  Yes, I know I should wait for everyone else, but I wasn't going to serve something nasty to my family on Fat Tuesday. I mean come on people.

Shortly, we will put on our beads, crank of the music and get the party started.  I should invite our cajun neighbors over.  They have their Mardi Gras beads hanging outside their front door.  How fun are they!

I was thinking today about my desire to make holidays special or all of the things that we do around here for birthday parties and I'll tell you why I do what I do.  Obviously I do the things because I want my children to have fun memories from their childhood, but I also do them because my mom always made a big deal out of holidays.  While I don't remember big Mardi Gras hoopla's, not that we are having one ourselves, I do remember her always making a big night out of St. Patrick's day.  We had green EVERYTHING.  Green milk (sounds totally gross, but to a kid it was great), green potatoes, green dessert.  Green everything.  Well, no green meat.  You all know that I would not eat green meat.  Speaking of green meat, Jack was served green eggs and ham the other day to celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday and let's just say the apple does not fall far from the tree because that boy wanted no part of that.

Hope you all have a fabulous Fat Tuesday.

(dough 2 hours after kneading and right before punching)


(two cakes waiting to rise again and then off to the oven)


 

2 comments:

Helen said...

Looks great, I knew you could do it. You will be baking kolaches before long.

Anonymous said...

Silly girl, that cake is beautiful. Don't ever say "you are not a baker anymore".