3.16.2011

De-beiging Our Home



Ok, I do not like the color beige.  It really is The Most Boring Color Ever!  I'm not kidding.  Is it really a color?  I mean it is absent of any color really.  It is nothing.  Actually, it is something.  It is a draining.  I know I sound so doom and gloom, and dramatic (hey, maybe Jack comes by this naturally), but it really is.  It evokes a feeling of blah.  You get the idea at this point I'm sure.

Sooooo, I have gone on and on about how we had to paint these walls.  People, I grew up with a rainbow painted in my bedroom and a gigantic tree in my living room covered with owls.  I like color.  A lot!  So, last week I headed off to Home Depot to grab a few color samples (8 to be exact) and I painted three different samples in two different rooms.  Oddly enough, I didn't like any of them.  Thank goodness I bought samples and not gallons of paint.  The last two samples we painted in the guest bath and bedroom.  Our guest bedroom was the most neglected room in the house.  If you looked up boring in the dictionary, you would have seen this room.  I chose two really pretty, green colors.  I really liked the darker of the two colors,  but it was too dark for the bathroom and the other,  was too light, or so we thought.  Off Mark goes for a color that is in-between.  No sample.  He is just going to choose something that is in-between.  I had to get the kids ready for our family outing so he was making this decision on his own.  Now I totally trust his opinion and judgement (honestly, I do), however, colors look one way in the store and completely different in your home, but I agreed.  

All of this took place on Saturday before we left for Fort Worth.  When we returned from our afternoon at the Stockyards, that man got to work.  I'm telling you this is the hardest working human being I have ever seen in my life.  As he was prepping the room I was getting the kids ready for bed and I just laid down.  Instantly I didn't feel well.  I just felt blah, kind of like the beige walls sucked the life out of me (note: exaggeration here).  I finished putting the kids to bed and I started to walk into the bathroom, but Mark said, "please don't go in until I am finished."  Come on you know me better than that.  That meant that I most certainly had to go in there, because that meant he knew I wasn't going to like it.  Well, let me tell you he was right.  That color was so bright it scorched my retinas.  I am just now able to see clearly again.  Fortunately, he listened to me when I said I didn't care for it and he stopped painting.  Although, I know he was disappointed.

Sunday rolled around and we had a rainbow of colors in four different rooms of the house (browns, yellows, greens).  While this wasn't thrilling to me, I was in no condition to paint.  Mark on the other hand wanted to finish something.  He needed to check something off of his list.  Once again, off to work he goes.  He made another trek to HD and bought the original two colors we had chosen and painted the guest bath in the lighter shade and the bedroom in the darker of the two colors.   Oh goodness gracious, the bedroom is a gorgeous color.  I love it.  Why do I love it so?  It isn't beige.  It is soothing.  It isn't beige.  And, it just feels nice and cozy.

Now, I just need to find the right bedding.  Refinish the chest of drawers and nightstand.  Get some pictures on the wall and wa-la it will be perfect!

So, two more rooms down.  We have the master bedroom, office,  dining room,  hallway and the entryway to go.  Oh, that is a lot of painting and one of those rooms includes some scaffolding and laying on your back like Michelangelo, but it will be worth it.  Why?  Color, well it's a beautiful thing!

Speaking of color...off to paint the little ladies finger nails....BLUE.

Thank you to my wonderful husband for working so hard to de-beige our lives!  I will love you always for bringing such beautiful color into my world.


anxiously waiting for their turn to paint.  


Popsie trying to make sure that she doesn't fling paint across the room because she is distracted by her brothers bouncing around the room like a monkey


He wanted to paint over letters.  No ordinary painting going on over here.


Finished bathroom.


Semi finished bedroom.  Color here looks greenish-gray, but it isn't at all.  It is called 'sagey' by Behr


And of course....blue toenails

 

No comments: