6.16.2010

The brownie bowl

Ahhh, company is coming and what does that mean?  It means that you need to bake something of course.  Isn't that what every good southern woman knows?  You need to have something for your guests to snack on and when it is a 3 year old guest what better treat than homemade brownies?  Well, semi-homemade anyway.

Jack and I decided to make brownies this afternoon.  I knew he would want to help me.  Why did I know this?  Well, he thinks that part of the process includes licking the bowl.  Before we even started mixing he was asking about "the bowl."  I do at least make him wait until after I am finished and the special treat is in the pan before he is allowed to go to town (for those of you concerned that I allow my son to double dip).  Today was interesting though because he was just about drooling over the chocolaty goodness.  He poured, he mixed, he talked about what he was doing, and he waited while I poured the brownies into the pan.  He was very concerned that I wasn't leaving enough for him.  Oh, what kind of mother would I be if I didn't leave just a tiny smig for him to try?  What a travesty that would be.

I left just enough for him to have a tasty bite and when I set the bowl down he leaned over and started licking it like a dog.  I was aghast !

I proclaimed, "you are not a barbarian, use a spoon for goodness sakes!"

He obliged and with a spoon he began to devour the creation that already smelled so sweet and delicious.  I too was having a difficult time controlling my chocolate cravings (I love chocolate).  As he dove in he said, "oh mommy, this is fantastic."

I begin working on the clean up (I am a messy cook) and I look over to see that he has now given up on the spoon and has his hand in the bowl covered with chocolate.   He just starts licking his fingers.  Cramming one, two, three, FOUR fingers in his mouth.  He is trying to get every last drop out of that bowl.  It was as if he is deprived of chocolate (he is not).  I bet had I left the room he would have stuck his head into the bowl and licked it clean.

I do appreciate his craving for the sweet treat.  I remember a birthday of his when my husband watched me cram two cupcakes into my mouth as if I hadn't eaten in weeks.  It was probably true (I was on a diet at the time).  I guess I just couldn't take the temptation anymore and in record time I devoured those cupcakes as if they were tiny mints that you could just pop into your mouth.  Ahhh, they were fabulous!  Oh, my sweet husband never said a word.  He did look at me, but just kept on walking.  Goodness, this is a brilliant man.  He knew to keep moving right along.  If his wife was that hungry, oh it was dangerous territory.

So, I guess Jack comes by his sweet cravings naturally :)

Enjoy!

~ Amy

PS - I am practicing with some textures.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jack not only takes after his mommy loving chocolate, but his grandma does too!!!!!!