6.07.2010

Fishing with Daddy



This past weekend was wonderful.  We had nothing to do, no where to go, no plans, nothing!  Honestly, I think it was the first weekend since moving that we didn't have something planned.  The boys decided that they would go fishing.  The little guy was beyond thrilled.  As soon as he found out about the little excursion he wanted to pack up and go.  Right then.  It is difficult for little kids to wait.  It seems like an eternity for time to pass I guess, when as an adult, in most instances, time just flies by.  Most of the time, it flies by too quickly.  Wonder why that is?  Anyway, so we pick out clothes for fishing, get everyone settled and off to bed we go.

Around 7:30 am, his usual time for waking up, we heard him sneeze outside the bedroom door, but he never came in.  We both went back to sleep.  Finally, I woke up at 8:30 (amazing!) and when I opened the door he was standing there fully dressed with the biggest grin on his face.  The boy was ready to go.  He said he hadn't been up very long, but actually I think he had been up for some time and just waited.  He got dressed, talked to his sister and waited.  We couldn't believe it.   The kid was really excited to be going fishing.  Although, what he was about to find out is that you sit a lot and fish don't have legs so you need to keep the wiggly worms in the water.  Oh yeah, Popsie bought live worms.  Thank heavens they didn't ask me to go.  There is no way I would have ever touched a worm and I certainly wasn't going to put it on a hook.  Well, I probably would have because I wouldn't have wanted one of the kids to be afraid, but I wouldn't have liked it.  I have already made Jack terrified of bees or other flying creatures with stingers.  Sheeez, I was stung 2 times in 3 days, wouldn't you be scared of those things too?  Popsie always says, "they only sting if they feel threatened," well I can promise you I did not go after either of those creatures and they stung me anyway.  Anytime I see one I freeze, just like a wax person from Madame Tussauds museum.  The other day I would have sworn that one landed on my back so I just stood there in the garage frozen for a minute or two.  Now, a minute or two doesn't sound like much, but when you are standing there perfectly still, except for your eyes darting around looking for a creature with a stinger, it seems like I long time.

While the boys didn't catch any fish I think it was food for them to have a some boys only time.  Popsie did say that they needed to find a new spot to fish as the fish weren't biting that day.  Maybe they didn't like the chatty cathys that kept talking while everyone was trying to fish.  I thought fish liked peace and quiet or something.  So strange.

No comments: