8.12.2010

Active Imagination

Yesterday we had an interesting evening.  Everything seemed to happen so easily and that doesn't happen often with two small children.  Especially when it is just me trying to feed everyone, give baths, brush teeth, and read stories.  There are often little bumps along the way to getting everyone in bed peacefully.  We had an early dinner (5:30) since Mark was playing softball.  This meant that we had a lot of time afterward to play.  The kids had even taken their bath earlier in the day because they had two toys that they wanted to play with in the water.  Since this meant that we might have an easier evening I was all for the early bath time.

After dinner everyone ran upstairs to get ready for bed.  They got dressed and brushed their teeth.  Sheez, someone must have said some prayers for me or something, because this was smooth sailing.  I was amazed at how easy this evening was going.  Jack even offered to let Jules come into his room and play trains....SHOCKING!  They played with trains and cars.  Jacked offered Jules about 10 different cars to play with, which to those of you that know about Jack and his cars you know that this was a big deal.  Jules played the harmonica for us and then proceeded to try and shove it up my nose so that I would play too.  That wasn't one of the better moments of the evening, but we rolled with it.

Jack decided to move on from toys so he started pretending that the bed was a train and he was going to miss it if he didn't run to catch it.  He missed several trains, but he was fast enough to catch a ride on a few of them.  This last for a while, but all of a sudden we were riding on a ship to outer space.  We were now traveling to Planet Elbow.  Planet Elbow was a fun planet and the aliens were nice there.  All of a sudden we were traveling to Planet Scary.  Here is where his imagination kicks into overdrive.

He tells me Planet Scary has aliens on it and each alien has 51 eyeballs.  He follows this with, "they can see you everywhere, always."  Now, he says this in a soft voice as if he is whispering and he is kind of looking around to make sure that no one is paying attention.  Quite honestly, I looked around myself.  He continues talking about the aliens and how they have eyeballs that can stretch up and look around and into anything that they want (again with this quiet voice).  "Mommy, mommy, they are by the bed," he yells.  So I roll with it and kind of squeal.  He screams as does Julia, but she is laughing.  We are all having fun with Planet Scary when all of a sudden one of the aliens jumps on my head.  I freeze.  I start waiving my arms around to get the alien off my head.  According to Jack, I was unsuccessful so I tried again.  Thank goodness I was successful!  Now the alien was on Jack's head and he is fighting to get it off of him.  Tossing around wildly, he was able to free himself of the aliens grip.  The alien is fast and now jumps on Julia who is squealing with delight.  She thinks this is great fun.  She mimics what he brother did and now she is thrashing around trying to shake the alien off of her.  I guess the alien was tired of the humans and decides to jump on over to the plastic dinosaur on Jack's nightstand.  Jack yells, "mommy, the alien is sitting on my dinosaur.  What can we do?"

Trying to play along I lightly grabbed the dinosaur as it is pretty fragile and I kind of waived it around trying to shake off the alien when all of a sudden Jack is screaming.  This isn't a pretend scream.  He is screaming and crying and I am looking at him like, "what in the world just happened on Planet Scary."  I  asked him what happened and he continues to scream.  I said, "do you think Planet Scary is real?"  All he did was point to the dinosaur and when I looked over it was missing it's head!  Oh geez!  He thought that this pretend alien had eaten his dinosaurs head.  We looked for about 5 minutes and the head was no where.  He is just staring at me.   Finally, we got a flashlight and found that the head had flown behind the bed.  Thank goodness we found it because I really didn't know how I was going to explain the missing head.

He really let his imagination run wild with this one.  It was great fun until the decapitation of course.  He had created such a scary place that he even frightened himself at bedtime.

Hey at least he has an active imagination even if he does frighten himself sometimes.  

Amy

Pictures of the jellyfish project from the other day.



1 comment:

Grandma Helen said...

Amy, you are just great with J and J. Not only do they have an imagination but you do also to be able to do all the creative projects you do with them. They have a great Mom & Dad