I decided that I was going to try and accomplish several projects that had been lingering for some time AND I wanted to make personalized cards for my grandmother's 80th birthday party this weekend. I have learned that it takes more time than I had anticipated, but I think they turned out really nice.

Here is our scorpion and puppy painting project from this week.
I started the week out thrilled with my blueberry shirt for Julia. This was made with a cheap t-shirt, ink pads and wine corks (awesome) and it is absolutely adorable. Wouldn't you agree? I love it. I had plans to make all kinds of t-shirts for little girls that I know. Problem is the ink smears. Julia was so excited to throw on her t-shirt the other morning so I grabbed it and off we went to get ready. However, when I went to put it on her I realized that I had ink on my hands. Little did I know, I was supposed to heat it or something after stamping. Oh, I was so disappointed. Julia was upset because I told her she couldn't wear the shirt. I guess I will try again. Jack was upset because he didn't have a blueberry shirt too. Really? He only wanted a blueberry shirt because she had one. I convinced him that I would try and make him a shirt with a dinosaur or a monster on it. Whew! I was not going to send him to pre-school in a blueberry shirt. I usually let them wear pretty much anything, but a boy in a blueberry shirt? I think not!
The following day we realized that we finally had enough Capri Sun (juice box) packs to make two bags. I had to wait until I had enough to make two bags. I found a video and this is ridiculously easy. Only...it isn't!
I thought I had the juice boxes empty, but I quickly realized that there was just enough drops of juice left in each bag to make my sewing machine a sticky mess. I was sticky. Everything I touched was sticky, but the kids had been saving these for over a week and asked me almost daily when we would have enough to make a bag. I had to keep trying. The more I sewed, the worse it got. The thread kept breaking and we were have to rip out a seam and start over. I bet we did this no less than 5 times on one side. This started out being a project for Jack and I to do together, but it was so messy and sticky that it became my project and well, let's just say he was none too fond of that. About the time he said, "mommy, you really aren't doing a very good job," I gave up and decided that I would try again another day. I guess I need to do a little research on how to get those packs dry and clean before. It had the look of a really cute bag (for little people anyway).
Next, I worked on homemade cards for my grandmother. I really enjoyed this project, quite a bit actually, but it required a lot more than I originally thought, but they turned out to be really cute (I think) and I hope that she will enjoy them. I mean, what do you get for someone that is 80? She doesn't long for much other than spending time with her family so I figured homemade would be nice. Based on the amount of card supplies I have, you will probably all be receiving cards at some point. Maybe even just to say "hey." That is always nice though right? I have some other plans for the cards, but I won't tell you just yet. You know, just in case I get side tracked and don't get back to it. I don't want you to all be disappointed and sad that I didn't follow through with my plan :)
Finally, yesterday we worked on a project that involves a reward system of sorts. This one is tough because I don't really know all the rules and requirements, but we needed something. Anything! You see Jack and I are struggling. He is a very strong willed child, which is what a parent would want (I think) except that his "will" to do or not do things seemed directed at his mother. It is like a daily staring contest around here. Both individuals thinking, "when are they going to back down?" Yes, yes I realize I am the parent, but let me just say it is very easy to give parenting advice when you aren't the parent of a particular individual. We are figuring it out though. I really want to be a good parent. I think I am most of the time. This week I really questioned abilities. Honestly, I'm surprised I'm not bald. I'm sure that I could make things easier by allowing the kids to watch more television and that would spare me a few struggles, but I would like them to be capable of doing other things. I would like them to have an imagination and be creative. I would like them to be interested in learning. I would like them to listen to their elders (I know laugh it up). Anyway, it has been a rough week as far as parenting goes, but then again no one worth their salt said that parenting was easy. While there are challenging times, there are so many wonderful things about my favorite little guy. He is so very smart, he's funny, he's creative, he still likes to sit in his mama's lap, he gives me huge hugs at bedtime, and and he loves to work side-by-side with me in the kitchen, just to name a few. Oh, and he can discuss the Big Bang Theory. No joke.

Here is our scorpion and puppy painting project from this week.
This is last weeks guitar/bango project made out of shoe boxes, rubber bands, popsicle sticks and rulers. We started out with paper towel holders, but couldn't make that one work. They turned out really cute. Later, Jack made up an 8 minute song while playing his new instrument. Where was the video camera when I needed it?
Last weeks cooking class. We made oatmeal cookies. We even had to figure out how to make brown sugar since we didn't have any. They turned out slightly different than normal considering we used sugar and molasses instead, but there were gone in a few days so I think they were a hit.
wouldn't be any fun if you didn't get to lick the beaters
And finally, last weeks dress up session. The wardrobes are moms pants and shirts and dads belts. Either I am really short or those are capri pants.
and again she admires her big brother...
























2 comments:
Well worth the wait. Cute, cute projects. Looks like wonderful memories in the making, for you and the "peeps".
Amy, you are so gret with all the projects you do with J and J. Love the guitars and I am sure the cookies were great.
Post a Comment