8.05.2010

Tea for Two




Yesterday I was so busy cleaning that I didn't do much with the kids.  Our house is wonderful, but one drawback is that when it is time to really clean it is an all day event.  The kids did help me dust, swish around in the toilets and clean the back door.  Although Julia quickly decided to color on the clean glass with sidewalk chalk.  Hey, I had a little help so I wasn't going to complain too much.  While I cleaned they played, watched some television, and later I helped Jack with some "homework."  We did take a little break to have a tea party at the kids request.

Today, when they asked to have another tea party I thought that they needed something other than animal crackers so we made mini lemon poppyseed muffins.  I wasn't sure if the little guy would like these or not, but he seems more open to trying things if he gets to help make it.

We started gathering our supplies and we agreed in advance that everyone would get to help.  They both wanted to do everything, but we took turns pouring and stirring and they seemed Ok with that.  I think they were most excited because these muffins came with a lemon glaze that we would drizzle on after they baked.  In ten minutes would would have food for our party.  Off to get ready.

Jack decided he wanted to dress up for the party so he put on a button up shirt instead of his standard t-shirt and Julia wore a denim skirt with a tank top that Jack didn't like, but hey the girl should get to choose her own clothes right?  Everyone was ready and now we waited for the timer.  As soon as we came downstairs the air was filled with the delicious smell of lemon poppyseed muffins.  The kids ran into the kitchen, but I had to scoot them out of the way so I could get to the oven.  Out they came and the kids immediately wanted to eat.  I had to remind them that they were hot so we would need a few minutes.  This was enough time to gather the other items for our party.

We had to set the table on the patio.   We gathered cups for tea (water), spoons for our water because of course at a tea party you sip your water from your spoon (who knew), cloth napkins and plates.  This is  high society over here so we had to get this right (wink).  It was now time to drizzle the glaze, pour our tea and sit down and enjoy ourselves.  I would be enjoying the festivities by taking the pictures.  This was tea for two, not tea for three.

So the kids sat down and I served them two muffins each.  I figured that would be plenty as they had already eaten breakfast, but quickly they "ordered" more muffins.  This was funny, because Jack actually said, "mommy, I would like to order two more muffins please."  So off I go.  I made this trip 4 times!  The kids ate 16 mini muffins.  My gosh, you would think that they hadn't eaten in days, but they really like the muffins so I kept them coming.

We had a few accidents and the tea was spilled, but surprisingly everyone took it in stride.  We cleaned up our mess and went back to the party.  It was a lovely morning and I so enjoyed getting to sit and enjoy them.

PS - you can barely see the mark on her forehead, plus long bangs have really helped this week.



Jack showing her how to stir in the eggs.  Jules waiting patiently.




Giving directions. 



"Oh, this hard," she says.




























4 comments:

The Hag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Hag said...

Looks like the morning turned out ok after all!

Anonymous said...

Great blog. Great morning. Beautiful children!!!

JC said...

Wow! Sounds and looks like so much fun! I reallllly wish we lived closer!