8.30.2010

Shrinking Number of Brain Cells

I am fully convinced that my children have stolen my brain cells.  I can no longer make decisions, I am frazzled, I forget things from one room to the next and if I don't write something down you can bet that I will forget it in five minutes or less.  It is ridiculous!  Well, after todays events I believe it more than ever.  They are smart and creative and I am a forgetful, absentminded mother.

Today, we had to take the car to the shop for the sixth time.  Seriously, I'm not kidding.  This is all from the accident that I had last year.  You know the one with me falling out of the car and the car rolling backward out of the garage and bending the door backwards....that accident.  It happened over a year ago and we are still having troubles.  See, that accident is another example of stolen brain cells.  That was a total moron move on my part.  So anyway, we drive to take the car back and this time we are given a rental so that the car can be sent to the shop.  Gosh, thank you Progressive for doing what you should have done when I brought it back the second time.  So, I switch cars seats and personal items from one car to the next and off we go.  We had 3-4 quick errands to run.  That is funny actually.  There is no such thing as a quick errand with two small children.  Someone runs off, someone has to go to the bathroom and of course you have to get them in and out of the car seats.  I am optimistic though because these really are quick tasks.  We make it to stop one and two, no problem.  We make it to stop three, the drive thru pharmacy and I tell the kids that they have been great and we will head home and make lunch instead of making one more stop.  As soon as Jack hears lunch he wants to stop at McDonalds.  I really do not understand that.  It isn't as if the food is great.  Yes, I know it is the toys, but we don't even buy happy meals each time and he still wants to go.  Of course I am the mean mom that says "no", but I am thinking "OH MY GOSH, I can't go there one more time."  I tell them we have food at home and we will be there in five minutes.  Sure enough we are home within five minutes, I pull in to the garage, I turn off the car, the kids unbuckle their seats and I reach for my keys, but I don't have my keys.  I have rental keys.  For heaven sakes I left my keys at the service center.  I really want to scream, but I try to calmly explain this to the kids, who are hungry by the way, and off we go again.  Jack isn't pleased, but he didn't say much.  I decided I would stop at McDonalds anyway because it would be an hour before we made it back home.  Lucky break for them.  I should buy stock in McDonalds.

I decided I would call the service center so that they would be prepared when I got there.  They lady assured me she would take care of it and the keys would be ready.  Twenty minutes later I pull up and are they ready?  Well, no of course not.  So we sat and waited for ten minutes only for her to come out and tell me that the only key I gave them was the car key.  I look at her as if she is speaking some foreign language because I was certain that I brought the key, but she didn't have it so there wasn't really much to argue about.  So off I go again without house keys.  Fortunately for me, Mark's office was about 10 minutes away so we stopped by the pick up a key.  I head home again, but this time I have a key in hand.  Thank goodness because all of this back and forth is tiresome.  We get home, make it inside and of course the first thing I do is look for my keys and what do you think I should find hanging on the key rack?  Well my keys of course!  I had grabbed the spare key and since I don't lock the garage door with a key I never noticed.  Interestingly enough, when I grabbed my key to leave in the morning the spare house key dropped and fell on the ground.  I saw it, but I had too many things in my hand so I didn't pick it up.  It was as if God was saying, "ummmm, Amy you are going to need this later."  Of course, I didn't listen.

My gosh, will I even be able to function when I am 40?  At this rate the answer will most certainly be  NO.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, it is just the constant distractions and endless questions.

Helen said...

Amy, when Mark was young and I forgot things and thought I was losing my mind, he would always say, Mom, you have too many things to remember - God Bless Him.