8.09.2010

One surprise after another

Today I have tried to stay busy.  For my benefit as well as the kids.  If I am busy then I am less inclined to curl up into a fetal position and cry.  If the kids are busy, they are less inclined to argue with one another.  So it is win-win all around.

Before we moved we did a lot of arts and crafts projects and for some reason we stopped doing activity.  I guess we got busy doing other things and that, along with many other things, fell by the wayside.  Today seemed like as good of a day as any to do a project.  Not to mention the fact that Jack really enjoys this.  He is like his Dad I guess.  He likes to be busy and have activities.  Anyway, we decided to make felt bracelets.  I wasn't really prepared so I just had to come up with something that I thought would be entertaining.  I wasn't sure if this would be of interest to Jack.  I mean I was making a bracelet with beads, pom-poms, and feathers, I was pleasantly surprised.  Both of the kids enjoyed picking out various objects for their bracelets and even wanted to make necklaces, but we will have to save that for another day.  I thought they turned out pretty cute.






































After lunch I decided that I had to do something to run off some of their energy.  They were picking at each other and it is entirely too hot to send them outside to play so I decided we would exercise.  I wasn't sure if they would be up for this either, but again they surprised me.  They both had the best time doing various activities.  Jack even found us a "thinking spot," so that we had a place to come up with each new exercise.  We also had to recite all of the exercises we had done before we started a new one.  These two are a ball of energy and wanted to keep going, but we stopped at 11 different moves.  The most hilarious was hopping on one foot.  You see, Jules cannot do this, but what she did was side-splitting.  She put one had on the wall, raised one leg (like a dog) and wiggled around.  The more I laughed the more she repeated the move.  Hey, they say laughter is the best medicine.

Here are all of their moves:

Sit-ups (Jules is good at these)
Push-ups (Jack did 26 of his version)
Jumping jacks
Marching
Running
Skipping
Galloping (Julia's move)
Arm circles
Hopping on one foot
Punching bag (I had to clarify that you could not hit anyone on this one)
Free style dance (my personal favorite)

After all of the days events Julia was to be napping and Jack was to have quiet time.  I swear he acts like quiet time is a punishment and maybe for a child that doesn't like to be by himself it is.  As I am wrapping up this post I hear the pitter patter of TWO sets of feet and all of a sudden both children are coming down the stairs.  Apparently, Jack thought it would be a good idea to teach his sister how to get out of her bed.  Lord help me!  I have been banking on her staying in that bed for quite sometime.  I reminded her that she wasn't supposed to crawl out of her bed she said, "well I did."  Again, Lord please help me.

In this instance, I am going to hope that she forgets what she just learned.

All-in-all it has been a pleasant afternoon.

Amy



She thought that she could put all of this on her bracelet






why?  Just so you can see her fashion sense.  The kid is going to be a trend setter for sure.


3 comments:

JC said...

You must have the patience of a saint! Hey, maybe one (or both) of them will be a quilter! Yes, men do make quilts!

Jara said...

What a great way to spend the afternoon.......just think how much J and J and Mom learned today!? Wished I could have been there. You are a cool Mom!

Grandma Helen said...

I may have to get J and J to come and help me quilt. Just give them a needle and thread...yikes