We got home late last night from Dad's 60th birthday celebration and I was pretty beat. I did manage to stay up for a few minutes to read a bit of The Glass Castle, but I bet I only made it through one chapter before I passed out. Well Mark on the other hand decided it was time to have a one man party. Normally he is a night owl, so it isn't all that shocking that he wanted to stay up late, but what he decided to do is funny. If he didn't have to be at work so early he would stay up late every single night, but has been forced to slam his eyes shut no later than 11:00 on week nights. Anyway, last night I figured he was tired because the entire drive home he kept talking about needing coffee, although he never stopped for any. At one point, I swear he swerved and my head whipped over to make sure that he was still awake. You see, I am skilled at watching sleeping drivers. My dad used to fall asleep ALL the time when I was a kid. I'm assuming it was because he didn't sleep well at night, he was constantly falling asleep at the wheel. Maybe it was the hum of the tires on the road, I don't know, but I do remember one particular day when I was on full alert. I was sitting in the back seat watching my dad. I had an eagle eye on him because I saw his head bobbing around, but he would never admit to having just closed his eyes while driving. We all close our eyes while driving because of course we unconsciously blink, but I assure you he WAS NOT merely blinking. He was taking a power nap while driving down the road! I knew that at any moment I, the 10 year old, was going to have to leap from the backseat and save us all. Fortunately, his little power nap must have helped because he was able to pull it together and get us all home. I'm sure this is an exaggerated story (I am 1/2 Henderson), but honestly, that is how I remember that day. We were even driving in the gold camero. For a girl with a terrible memory, I remember that one as if it was yesterday.
Anyway, back on subject here. I thought Mark was tired, but when we got home he made himself a nice little drink, talked about smoking a cigar that he picked up at Dad's and had a seat. I was of course messing around on the computer and I heard him mumble something about the PS3 and whether or not he could play from outside, but I wasn't really paying attention. I'm sure I was surfing some gossip site or something. When I finished, I saw him sitting on the patio smoking his cigar, but it was dark so I didn't REALLY know what he was doing. I go to open the door to tell him I am going to read for about 30 seconds and then go to sleep, but what do I find? I find Mark sitting in a chair, facing the TV that is INSIDE the house, having a drink, smoking a cigar and playing his PS3 from the OUTSIDE patio. He just kind of laughed when I saw him and said, "well, I guess my wireless remote does work from the patio". Yes Mark, I guess it does :)
PS - yes, I changed the blog template again. I can't seem to find anything I like. I keep going back to birds for some reason. Maybe I should analyze that :)
1 comment:
sad. really.
Post a Comment