I had a long list of things to accomplish considering the little lady's party is in two days. Have I accomplished all that I wanted to, well of course not. I complain about pressure, but I think I must thrive under pressure. Actually, I'm fairly certain that is a true statement, but I would like to change it. Anyway, so I had a long list of things to do, one of those being taking a few pictures of the kids. I decided that we would head to Cedar Hill State Park first and we would then run all of our errands. That wasn't the best plan, but it turned out to be perfect. I didn't get to run any errands after heading to the park and while I wish that I would have been a little more prepared for the events to follow I am glad that it turned out the way that it did.
We were given a map of the park, but as soon as Jack heard, "there is a kid area," he wanted to go there first. We drive to the designated area and yes, there was a kids play area it was as old as Methuselah. They were interested for about 10 minutes tops. They probably would have played a little longer had they not been drawn to the beach behind us. Yes, the beach! I couldn't even believe. Now yes people, obviously it wasn't really the beach, but it was a man-made beach at Joe Pool Lake and beggars can't be choosers. I wasn't sure what the kids would think. Honestly, I was a little turned off by the water because there was a grown man swimming around with his grown son fully clothed AND he kept blowing his nose in his hands. Seriously? I mean how disgusting can a person be? I thought I might vomit so that he would get the point, but then I would be disgusting too. Although, at least I would have had an excuse. Sheeez, some people are nasty. I just hope my kids don't think that is how you blow your nose now. Jack saw a little boy tinkle on a tree and now he thinks that you should just always (exaggerated) go tinkle in the backyard. Moving on...
We move down a little further from the nasty human. I am trying to take some pictures and I figured that the kids would just kind of put their toes in the water or something, but ohhhhhh no. That isn't what they did at all. They spent about 5 minutes or less checking things out and then Julia just got in the water with her dress on! Jack was knee deep in the water, which was really shocking considering he doesn't like it when he has a drop of water on him. They both were having the best time splashing in the water, digging their toes in the sand, and giggling like little kids are supposed to that I threw my long list of things to do out the window. Figuratively, not literally. I mean, I was in a state park and I think they frown upon littering (wink). Surprisingly I was able to handle the change in plans quite nicely. I had a lot to do, goodness, I still do, but they were having so much fun and we have been stuck at the house so much lately, I couldn't make them stay clean and dry for my own purposes. And trust me they weren't clean at all. It was time to go when they both thought it was funny to start throwing sand at my camera. I guess they were trying to tell me to put the camera down.
We get to the car and while I have a million different things in there I didn't have one towel. I did have a lot of cups, gum, gum wrappers, poster board, sun visor, pens, bags, an array of trash, coupons and I'm sure many other things, but not one towel. Not one! Oh, my car isn't clean, but it isn't nearly as dirty as my description makes it sound. Well, I guess that is up for interpretation. I'm sure that Popsie would disagree. Anyway, their hands and feet are covered in sand. It was everywhere and it really wasn't even sand, it was like a fine grain rock or something and it wasn't coming off as easily as I had hoped. All I had were wipes and while they serve a very good purpose they don't help clean off two kids after frolicking at the beach. I just cleaned them off as best I could and stripped the lady down to nothing but diaper and put her in the car. Poor Jack had to ride home in a t-shirt and underwear and this kid doesn't like to be without clothes. You know some kids run around in their underwear? Not this kid. He took it in stride though. The kids are old enough that I very rarely carry a change of clothes, but I might consider having a spare pair in the car just in case.
It was a wonderful day and I'm glad that I was able to witness their afternoon at the beach. I'm glad that I was able to get over my list and roll with it. I know that in no time at all they will both be in school and our afternoons of spontaneous fun will be limited. So for now, I will try and remember to enjoy the afternoons that don't quite work out as you had planned because if they are anything like yesterday, then they will be wonderful afternoons spent with my beautiful children and no trip to the grocery store can compare to that.
My pictures are a little random, but there are a few pictures of Jules in the water. Jack is mostly consumed by the sugar on a stick :)
Love ya -
Amy









No comments:
Post a Comment