5.17.2010
Putting the boy to work
After all of the events over the weekend, there was quite a bit to do today. Actually, probably not more than normal, but it seemed a little overwhelming or at least the list of things to do seemed overwhelming. I tried to get a slow start as to eliminate or minimize any arguments about getting dressed. It turned out to be a nice morning, an easy morning and we even had time for a walk. When we got home the kids played for a bit and then the little lady went down for a nap. The little guy of course wanted to watch TV. I have been so busy preparing for the party the last few weeks that he has definitely watched more tv than normal and I am now having to try and undo what I did. I try to explain to him that too much tv isn't good for you and he needs to exercise his brain. Well, I wasn't surprised that he came back with some kind of "deal" as to why it should be ok to watch more tv. He tells me that while watching tv he "thinks about all of the things that he does and how he shouldn't hit his sister because it isn't nice." Really kid? At least he was creative.
I then tell him that he can watch a little tv after lunch and after quiet time. This of course causes a minor meltdown because the kid hates quiet time. You would think he were being hung from the rafters or something. He acts like it is punishment. I really want him to play by himself and I need just a few minutes to accomplish a few things during the day. I tried to explain that I need to clean, do laundry, iron pants (yuck) and get the house back together for the week and if he would prefer chores over quiet time then he could do that. I thought for sure he would choose quiet time, but he didn't. This is what he said, "mommy, I would much rather do chores. Do you want to know why? It's because I would much rather spend time with you than sit by myself during quiet time." Man, compelling argument. How could I turn him down? I couldn't. So I put him to work. He swept the floors, mopped the kitchen, cleaned the office windows (the little lady licked them) and then proceeded to tell me that he was tired because he had done a lot more work than me today. Hey, beggars can't be choosers and I appreciated the help.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment