Before I get to far, let me back up a little and tell you about how I didn't sleep 5 minutes on Monday. First, I was nervous that I had forgotten something and I didn't want Jack to be the child that was missing something on the first day and I was consumed with thoughts of spiders. Yes, spiders! Not only has my home been invaded by spiders we found our first mouse today. For goodness sakes had it not been stuck in a glue trap (sorry little mouse) I would have run for the hills. Yes, I am a big old wuss when it comes to mice, bees, spiders, snakes. Well, anything that isn't human really. I mean let's be honest here. This past weekend I violently thrashed around because a gigantic creature dove at my face and when I started jumping around it decided that it would be a good idea to land IN MY EAR! Seriously? Go away freaks of nature! My brother in-law tried to tell me that it was gone, but I was already in my freak mode and thrashed around, slammed my head into a car and my glasses went flying underneath some random mini-van. I had been at the West Fest for 2 minutes and I already had a headache AND I couldn't blame it on the heat or beer. Fortunately, Helen saved the day and came prepared with medication for her crazed daughter in-law. Ok, I am totally off topic here. This is supposed to be about preschool...
So, I woke up early in the morning as I wanted to get up and be ready for the big day. I wanted to be able to have breakfast with Jack and help him get ready for his first day. Only, I was the only one to get up. Mark was long gone and the kids slept until 8:15. 8:15! These little people never, ever sleep that late and they only woke up yesterday morning because I went in there and started shouting, "ummm, hello? Is anyone up here?" Not really. That would have been so rude. I did go up and gently try to wake my little people. It was crunch time. We had to get up, have chocolate milk (of course), eat, get dressed, brush our teeth and be out the door in 30 minutes. I tried to remain calm as I didn't want to be the one to start his day off badly. Surprisingly, it went off without a hitch. You know why? Well, I turned on the tv before I went upstairs to get them and they agreed to pretty much anything that I asked because they knew I would turn it off if they didn't. They did all things that I asked and Jack made it to school at the perfect time.
He was hesitant to walk in at first, but there were no tears. I did get a lot of hugs and he even tried to hug his sister before we left, but he walked in with his teacher and sat down in his seat. I was so proud of him. Previous experience has been kicking and screaming and chasing me down the hallway. Gosh, it was terrible. There usually were a lot of children crying and it seems that when one cries the others follow suit. However, yesterday there were no tears from the kids. I did see a few mother's walking away wiping tears from their eyes, but the little people were doing ok. I was glad.
The little lady and I ran errands and had a nice little lunch together before it was time to pick him up. We were both excited to go get him. Several times throughout the day she would say, "where Jack? I no see him." She was a little confused as to why he wasn't with us, but I'm sure she will adjust in no time.
Anxiously we walked to the Squirrel classroom (the classes at the school have animal names) and peeked in. I wanted to see him before he saw me. He was happily sitting there with his teacher finishing his work for the day. Oh, but when he saw us his face lit up and he ran toward us. Gosh, isn't that what all parents want? For their children to be excited to see them? He had something tied around his head explaining that he had made a new friend, the friends name and what they did together. It was supposed to be a necklace, but I guess Jack decided it should be a headband instead. It was cute. He was happy and I was thrilled that he had such a good day.
I had promised him that if we had a smooth morning that we would do something special after school so we headed on over to the soda shop for some ice cream. We have been there before, it's called Suzy Q's. Neat little place. So we had ice cream and Jack talked about his day and how much he enjoyed himself. He said to me, "Mommy, I just forgot about you guys for a little bit and had fun at school." Well, I was glad and sad all at the same time. I just smiled and told him that I was so glad he had such a fun day, met some new friends and was able to play with bubbles indoors.
Very nice day!
nervous face as we are headed to school
giving Mommy a big hug before we left him on the first day (you know, we like self portraits in the Haisler house)
walking away with his teacher Mrs. Angie
Random photo of the little lady with her comb and tic tacs tucked in her rolled up pants
After school with his very informative headband.
This is the appetizer to the ice cream. The waitress brought the kids whipped cream in a cup. She would quickly learn that my children did not need MORE sugar. It was very nice of her though. She knew it was his first day of school.
and of course the best part....chocolate ice cream!
2 comments:
Seems pre-school will be good for Jack-preparation for REAL school. Good for Julia - alone time with Mom. Maybe not so good for Mom-little ones growing up, but think of all the good times to come as they do!
It was like I was almost there. Thanks for the post.
Post a Comment