As a parent, it is funny when you hear your child say something or do something that you could envision yourself or your spouse doing. I mean, of course you know that they look like you and on occasion make a facial expression or a hand gesture like you, but when they do something so random, something that they probably wouldn't have known that you would do, it makes you pause, or smile just a little.
Today was Jack's second day of school and it was another successful day for him. He was excited when we dropped him off and excited when we picked him up. The first week has been a great one for all all of us.
In the preschool class they do a lot of things to prepare these children for kindergarden. One of those being that the 4 year old children actually grab their lunch and eat in the cafe. They do this so that the children are prepared when they enter elementary school and eat in the large cafeteria with many other classes. I have been curious about this. Actually, I wish that I could witness what he does throughout his day, but since that would totally be weird if his mother were lurking around following his every move and watching him constantly, I can only go by what he tells me and what his teacher writes on his daily activity sheet. Well, in regards to lunch Jack has shared the same story both days after school. I ask him all about his day, what he did, what he learned, who he played with, did he enjoy himself, did he have fun, etc. I also ask him how he enjoyed lunch and if he sat with his friends. He has responded by telling me that he sits at a table by himself. At first, my heart sank. I was crushed. Oh my gosh, I sent my child off to preschool because I thought it would be good for him and he has to sit all by himself? How heart breaking. How lonely he must be. This is terrible. Maybe this wasn't a good idea after all. I of course begin to ask him a million questions, rapid fire. "Why do you sit by yourself? Don't you want to sit with your friends? Did your teacher tell you to sit by yourself? Where are the other children? Did they invite you to sit with them?" Goodness, the kid couldn't even answer a question before I had fired off another. When I stopped to take a breath he said, "Mommy, I really wanted to sit by myself. I really needed a little time to myself. A little quiet time." Oh for heavens sake! If any of you ever doubted that this was my child, please doubt no longer. He is me! I need a little quiet time myself. I have been known to escape for a little 'me' time, a little decompression, even before I had children. I guess even a 4 year old wild man needs a little time to himself.
9.09.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Gosh, people getting on his nerves at 4!!He is so funny.
That is such a cute story. We all need a little ME time! Lol!
We all need some quite time. I like setting outside and looking at all of God's creations. Not sure if I like all the bees and snakes.
Post a Comment